• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax

Hi

I was wondering if someone could offer some advice for a stressful situation I am in.

A uncle of mine moved abroad many years ago after his wife died and left his property in the care of his family. Over the years Power of Attorney's were granted to me and my siblings to rent the property for him etc. Unfortunately in 2013, we rented out the property for three years to a person who caused nothing but problems. Within months he stopped paying rent and was rather abusive and aggressive. My Uncle informed us not to take any action and hopefully the guy would leave. He had become a sqautter and not having funds or time for legal assistance, we thought that he would leave eventually.

Anyway he did eventually leave sometime this year, but we have now discovered that no Council Tax was ever paid. Worse still the Council have been sending documents to the property and have now obtained a writ of possession. The house is to be aunctioned to pay the £8600 bill.

I feel incredibly angry, that we have been victims in this ( the place has been totally destroyed, no boiler, no furniture etc) and now we have been given this huge bill. What I find more frustrating is that the Council would and should have been aware that my brother had the Power of Attorney previously and was receiving Housing Benefit from our previous tenant. Infact he received a Environmental Fee around 6 months ago, for mess in the garden caused by the tenant. Furthermore previously the same house was also rented by means of Housing Benefit, for which I had the Power of Attorney and all cheques were issued to me.

Also in February of this year,the tenant finally 'showed' some remorse and guilt and his partner said they would start paying. She applied for Housing Benefit. My Uncle advised me to use my older brother, who has a far more persuasive and dominant personality than me to be the landlord this time to hopefully stop any abuse etc. However for whatever reason, the rent was not paid, and the tenants have now vacated the property. The initial Order for Possession was made in April 2017, after the Council were informed of a new claim and as my brother having the Power of Attorney as the landlord. No letters have been sent to him in regards to any legal proceedings for Council Tax, until oddly enough a month ago he was given a bill. We now have had to take out loans and have until this Thursday to pay the full amount otherwise the property will be sold.

The 'tenant' in question has been located by a private detective and he has accepted that he lived in the property and was responsible for all council tax.

Setting a Liability Order aside seems to be impossible, but I was thinking of just paying the money tomorrow, get possession of the property back and then take the council to court to recover my money. I have the original tenancy agreement etc. I feel the council did not follow procedures to locate the 'owners' of the property and possibly knew the tenant had no means of paying and thus have taken possession of the property for auction.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax

Setting a Liability Order aside seems to be impossible, but I was thinking of just paying the money tomorrow, get possession of the property back and then take the council to court to recover my money. I have the original tenancy agreement etc. I feel the council did not follow procedures to locate the 'owners' of the property and possibly knew the tenant had no means of paying and thus have taken possession of the property for auctio
    There are no grounds to get the liability order set aside as it has been correctly made unless you could show a procedural error and make a court application on that basis. A liability dispute isn't a procedural error so any dispute on that side would have to be made via the correct channel.

If you are disputing liability then there is the correct process to follow which is to use a valuation tribunal - preparing the paperwork isn't too bad or costly as long as the correct procedure is used. In cases where a bankruptcy has been granted then over the last few years the courts have generally adjourned the case whilst a tribunal decision has been made, it should be arguable that the same applies to charging orders. If you google 'Okon council tax case' or similar that will give you information on the specific case. Depending on what stage the action is at then an application can be made to the court to have the order for sale refused or halted.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X