• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rejection of used car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection of used car

Will try and keep short I purchase a approved Range Rover £29200 two weeks ago had a problem day one day 7 it was in Garage again and still is for several issues dealer is insistent I cannot reject as he has to be given every chance to repair ! I thinks this contradicts the 2015 consumer rights act of sat quality , it has already had 450 miles added to clock and dealer is not giving me details of his intentions in writing as requested
    Tags: None

Re: Rejection of used car

Hi and welcome

You are correct, as long as you have not asked the trader to repair the faults, you can reject the vehicle within 30 days for a full refund.
    You may have to show the faults were present when purchased, so what exactly is wrong with the Landy?

As he is not responding "nicely" write telling him you are relying on your short term right to reject as per Consumer Rights Act 2015, as the vehicle is not satisfactory.
    You require a refund in the same manner as you paid for the vehicle.

If finance was involved send a copy to the finance house.

Credit card used for purchase? You may have a claim against them.

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply ! As the car is in landrover anerdeen and I’m in Glasgow (150 miles) and I had stated when it left on Monday that I would not accept a repair I wanted the bumper replaced , I’ve also been told the lump in leather in dash is acceptable for used car but after point out it’s by the air bag and could be a safety issue , also the damper squeak on suspension that was pointed out on test drive that we were told would be done on pre inspection has now returned with vengeance as they have had the car a week tomorrow and as far as lead to believe no work has been carried out I have signed no authorisation for work to be carried out I have asked for proposal of detailed work to be carried out in writing and sent another email today requesting that and also the fact he tells me I cannot reject without letting him rectify first the Range Rover evoque I bought cost 29200 it has 7900 probably 8000 miles on clock now, as there’s no finance it was a part exchange and bank transfer, do you think if I drove the courtesy car back tomorrow and handed a letter of rejection I’d be in my rights

Comment

Goods have to be of satisfactory quality i.e. meet the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory, taking into account:among other things:
        -
        the price
        _appearance and finish
        -freedom from minor defects
        -safety

You said you wanted a bumper replaced, so have in fact agreed to repairs, and should now wait for repairs to be carried out.
        Those repairs have to be carried out
        within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
        According to the CRA 2015 a reasonable time & significant inconvenience depends on the nature of the goods (which isn't very helpful!)

If the repairs aren't carried out satisfactorily, you can then reject the vehicle.

The 30 day period for short term right to reject
        stops running for the length of the waiting period.

Comment

Just to add to Des' comment above and just reiterating the reasonable time and significant inconvenience part, did the dealer give you any estimate timescale as to when these issues are likely to be resolved? If not, you might want to consider writing to the dealer and explaining that the vehicle has been awaiting repairs for over two weeks and yet you have not had an update on how long it will take to be resolved. You would want to stress that the dealer has had a reasonable amount of time to rectify the issues yet remains in the garage awaiting repairs. As such you are requiring the repairs to be of the essence and set a reasonable deadline e.g. 14 days.

By stipulating 'of the essence' this means that a failure to comply will be deemed a fundamental breach and allows you the right to terminate the agreement. You also suggested that you have a courtesy car which is probably not hindering you in getting from A to B but over time, it could be a significant inconvenience if it's not a like for like courtesy car. So you'll have to take that into account too.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X