• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax

I am single parent with three children, two at uni and one in school. Am I due a council tax reduction?
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax

This is the info on who is discounted https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay so if you are classed as the only adult in the property you are due a 25% discount.
    Each council has it's own rules on how far they will go back with the reduction so it may just be the 1 year or maybe up to 3.
    They will of course want proof.

Comment

Don't forget that the two at uni are exempt council tax at their university address.

Comment

Originally posted by gibsyuk View Post
        I am single parent with three children, two at uni and one in school. Am I due a council tax reduction?
        The rules regarding who is 'disregarded' for council tax purposes are set in legislation and are not (yet) delegated powers for a council to change. The two at uni will be disregarded - the one in school will be as they are under 18. This leaves just you as the only none disregarded adult and therefore a 25% discount applies.

What you want to do is to ask the council to apply a 25% discount on the basis you're the only adult who is not disregarded. If you ask for a 'Council Tax Reduction' it can cause confusion as the means tested Council Tax scheme (which used to be Council Tax Benefit) is called Council Tax Reduction but is different thing entirely to receiving a discount by way of disregards.

With respect to backdating a Local Authority will often try to restrict it but they have no particular powers in most case to do so. Do a google search for 'council tax backdating' or similar for more on that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X