• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Blackshaw v MFS Portfolio Ltd (2017)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackshaw v MFS Portfolio Ltd (2017)

Interesting and quite useful for reference Judgment that doesn't seem to be already on here ( tho it is from Nov 2016)

Judgment
    https://goughsq.co.uk/wp-content/upl...-Portfolio.pdf

Summary
    "Chancery judge hearing insolvency appeal dismisses all technical challenges to agreement validity under the Consumer Credit Act 1974"

A credit card agreement from 1995 had been assigned twice. The debtor defaulted in 2009 and a default judgment and charging order were obtained. In 2013 the assignee served a statutory demand on the debtor to try and obtain payment proposals. A bankruptcy order was then made in June 2014. At that point the debtor sought to apply to annul the bankruptcy order. Half a dozen points were made including that the credit card agreement did not comply with the CCA or the agreements regulations and that the default notice
    was invalid or defective in some way. The assignee had difficulty in reconstituting copies and retrieving a copy of the default notice. The
    application to annul was refused. The debtor appealed and this came on for hearing before Mann J in the Chancery Division. He upheld the district judge’s ruling that there were no defects in either the credit card terms and conditions or the default notice. Whilst the judge said there had been inefficiencies in producing documentation in this case, that was not sufficient to annul the bankruptcy order. He lifted the stay and the assignee can now proceed in its bankruptcy. The assignee has conceded it has to surrender the benefit of its security in its charging order for the benefit of all creditors.

more from http://www.ewriter.eu/articles/Blackshaw.pdf
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

For ref. https://goughsq.co.uk/high-court-cas...fault-notices/
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      For ref.
      huh? #confused
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

huh? #confused
        ahh ok got it now, slow on the uptake today sorry
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Looks like there has been a County Court Judgment on the Authorisation issues with MFS ( Cabot ) ( only persuasive and subject to appeal - so should be an interesting one to watch https://goughsq.co.uk/barrister/ruth-bala/
          (you'll recognise a few of Ruth Bala's cases )

MFS Portfolio Ltd v Phelan (Peterborough county court, 9th March 2018, subject to appeal): two day trial on the applicability of the exemption in paragraph 55 of the Schedule to the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Exemption) Order 2001. This exemption from the need for FCA authorisation is commonly relied upon by debt purchasers who enter servicing arrangements with authorised servicers, who are often within the same corporate group. The borrowers unsuccessfully argued that debt purchasers were not entitled to rely on this exemption when issuing proceedings. Issuing was an activity that could not be delegated to the servicer, but had to be undertaken by the purchaser, who had title to the debt;

UPDATE TO THIS

MFS Portfolio Ltd v Phelan: four day appeal before HHJ Walden Smith upholding the applicability of the exemption in paragraph 55 of the Schedule to the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Exemption) Order 2001. This exemption from the need for FCA authorisation is commonly relied upon by debt purchasers who enter servicing arrangements with authorised servicers, who are often within the same corporate group. The borrowers unsuccessfully argued that debt purchasers are not entitled to rely on this exemption when issuing proceedings: issuing is an activity that cannot be delegated to the servicer, but has to be undertaken by the purchaser, who has title to the debt;
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X