• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Incorrect credit file defaults for over 1 year before admitting liability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect credit file defaults for over 1 year before admitting liability

Good morning .

I have been battling with a large dual fuel energy provider for over a year who have been applying a default / late payment mark on my credit history each month for over a year .

I had been approved for a mortgage and was taking the next steps to buy a house through my bank during which time the supplier put the default on my credit history incorrectly .
    they maintained that they had not received the payments and consequently the mortgage application was denied at the next stage .
    it has since taken me 393 days , 3 registered complaints , a lot of time on the phone and stress and finally they have confirmed they do have the money I paid them all this time .

I have lost a lot of time and now that I'll be able to get a mortgage again I will have to pay around 10-12% more for a similar property plus be a year behind on owning a house .
    during this time I could not even obtain finance on 2 small purchases I wanted to make .
    I have confirmation from the supplier that they are going to reconcile the accounts , apologise for their errors and offer a good will gesture of compensation which I expect will be very little .

I am wondering if I have a serious case to claim proper damages from them and if there is a solicitor / law firm who would manage this for me on a no win no fee basis?

Any help would be greatly appeciated and thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Incorrect credit file defaults for over 1 year before admitting liability

Originally posted by Simhae View Post
    Good morning .

I have been battling with a large dual fuel energy provider for over a year who have been applying a default / late payment mark on my credit history each month for over a year .

I had been approved for a mortgage and was taking the next steps to buy a house through my bank during which time the supplier put the default on my credit history incorrectly .
    they maintained that they had not received the payments and consequently the mortgage application was denied at the next stage .
    it has since taken me 393 days , 3 registered complaints , a lot of time on the phone and stress and finally they have confirmed they do have the money I paid them all this time .

I have lost a lot of time and now that I'll be able to get a mortgage again I will have to pay around 10-12% more for a similar property plus be a year behind on owning a house .
    during this time I could not even obtain finance on 2 small purchases I wanted to make .
    I have confirmation from the supplier that they are going to reconcile the accounts , apologise for their errors and offer a good will gesture of compensation which I expect will be very little .

I am wondering if I have a serious case to claim proper damages from them and if there is a solicitor / law firm who would manage this for me on a no win no fee basis?

Any help would be greatly appeciated and thanks in advance
    Hi, welcome to LB,

Take a look at Just Beagle to find a solicitor to help you.

I see you have sent complaints already, but I suggest that you make a Formal Complaints listing all your problems with them and detail " losses " and what you want them to do to reconcile the situation. Send to the senior management of the energy supplier.

nem

Comment

Re: Incorrect credit file defaults for over 1 year before admitting liability

Originally posted by Simhae View Post

. . . it has since taken me 393 days , 3 registered complaints , a lot of time on the phone and stress and finally they have confirmed they do have the money I paid them all this time .

. . . I have confirmation from the supplier that they are going to reconcile the accounts , apologise for their errors and offer a good will gesture of compensation which I expect will be very little
      I don't know how far your complaint(s) went before they conceded defeat but did you escalate it/them to the Energy Ombudsman because they have the ability to award compensation up to £10,000 and they're free to use?

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/s...gy/resolutions

You can do this eight weeks after your original complaint - no need to keep banging your head on a brick wall with the energy supplier. You've been battling this for over a year already!

If you get a solicitor involved make sure you understand whether or not they add a 'Success Fee' to the CFA (No Win No Fee) which could mean you paying them up to 30% of any damages they successfully recover for you even if you don't have to pay their legal fees (which they would recover from the other side if successful).

If you have any insurance policies (such as buildings, contents or car insurance) check to see if they include Legal Expenses cover so you could use that option to finance your claim if they assess that you have has good prospects of success. Their Legal Advice line should be free to use.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X