• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell debt. Keep sending me letters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell debt. Keep sending me letters

Ok so I 2 phone contracts out when I was 18 & came into money problems and stopped paying them anyway I am now 24 & still receive letters from them. They send me about 4/5 letters a week. I have always had one sayin I owe to Orange mobile company & another saying I owe to O2. I have not contacted them once by phone/email/letter ever.
    I recently moved and my landlady opened one of the letters from Lowell and phoned them on my behalf and told them my new address and gave them my bloody contact number!!! They've not had a contact number for me since I was 18!! I'm so annoyed! They've always managed to get my address when I change my address with my bank whenever I move.
    Anyway im just wondering how far they can take this because I am currently 26 weeks pregnant I got sacked recently from my job for being pregnant I currently have no income and I'm living with my partners family so basically homeless.
    I stupidly answered the phone as didn't know the number and they said when I can apply for income support at 29 weeks they want money out of that. Anyway they decided to tell me on the phone that I had another debt with the mobile company THREE ! I remember having a sim only contact a few years ago but it was only for 12 months so I'm really confused by this?! Anyway my landlady gave them my partners parents address and I'm so worried that debt collectors are going to come around . I've managed to ignore them for 5 years now and next year would have been my 6th year and quote me if I'm wrong they can't collect money after the 6th year? I don't know what to do. The lady on the phone put my account on hold for 90 days and she said they will start making contact again when I'm 29 weeks pregnant. I'm so worried please help
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell debt. Keep sending me letters

With phone contracts they are often for 12/18/24 months and they could argue that the natural termination date would be the cause of action date for statute barred purposes, so you could have had a year or so more to wait until it was stat barred - of course they do ramp up their efforts when nearing the 6 year point and that's what you're suffering from now.

Do not worry about Debt Collectors coming round. Lowell don't do that. They might bring court action but they will have to go through the pre-action process first during which you can take advice or make an offer to pay by AFFORDABLE monthly amounts . They already know you are in hardship and they do have to follow rules how they treat people. How much approximately is the debt overall ?

Really don't let this stress you out, once we have a few more details you could maybe write to them with an offer and telling them formally to stop the harassment due to your vulnerability ( the pregnancy) If your income support if going to be all you have coming in, this could be £1 a week or something similar, at least until you are back on your feet after babys arrived xxx Might be worth getting yourself an appointment with your local citizens advice to help you deal with Lowell.

Have you taken any advice regarding being sacked for pregnancy ? That is automatic unfair dismissal so you really want to look into that before 3 months is up - maybe put a thread with more details in the Employment forum here -> http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...Law-amp-Issues
    ( CAB might also be able to help you deal with that, and any issues re housing and your ex- landlady )

And on the job side of things you could also give ACAS a call for some advice how to deal with that, they have a helpline on 0300 123 1100.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      With phone contracts they are often for 12/18/24 months and they could argue that the natural termination date would be the cause of action date for statute barred purposes, so you could have had a year or so more to wait until it was stat barred - of course they do ramp up their efforts when nearing the 6 year point and that's what you're suffering from now.

Do not worry about Debt Collectors coming round. Lowell don't do that. They might bring court action but they will have to go through the pre-action process first during which you can take advice or make an offer to pay by AFFORDABLE monthly amounts . They already know you are in hardship and they do have to follow rules how they treat people. How much approximately is the debt overall ?

Really don't let this stress you out, once we have a few more details you could maybe write to them with an offer and telling them formally to stop the harassment due to your vulnerability ( the pregnancy) If your income support if going to be all you have coming in, this could be £1 a week or something similar, at least until you are back on your feet after babys arrived xxx Might be worth getting yourself an appointment with your local citizens advice to help you deal with Lowell.

Have you taken any advice regarding being sacked for pregnancy ? That is automatic unfair dismissal so you really want to look into that before 3 months is up - maybe put a thread with more details in the Employment forum here -> http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...Law-amp-Issues
      ( CAB might also be able to help you deal with that, and any issues re housing and your ex- landlady )

And on the job side of things you could also give ACAS a call for some advice how to deal with that, they have a helpline on 0300 123 1100.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

THE O2 DEBT IS somewhere between £200/300

& the ORANGE. Debt is between £600-700

i have no idea about the THREE COMPany Debt as I have never been made aware I had this debt until they phoned me 2 months ago and said about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am in contact with ACAS as the moment. I was only working where I was for 6/7 weeks. ThNks for the info though

Comment

Originally posted by Char1234 View Post

Also I am in contact with ACAS as the moment. I was only working where I was for 6/7 weeks. ThNks for the info though
        That's good to hear ACAS can be very helpful - so hopefully you have an idea if you can take any action considering the circumstances of your case

I reckon on these debts first job is to write to Lowell and ask them for all the information on all of these debts, so you can consider your position, and tell them you are sending letters to the original companies for details too. You want copies of the agreements, assignment, default notices and statements showing how the amounts being requested have been calculated. I'd put at the top you do not acknowledge any debt and are simply trying to find out further information to consider your position regards their assertions. Just so you are protecting any statute barring if these debts are going to go over to being time barred.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Do you have any templates I could use I'm not very good with writing letters and how to words things etc?

Comment

I'll have a draft of something to start you off in the morning xxx
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank you so much xxxx

Comment

Okay, nice letter to start off so we don't get their backs up and it should be actually considered and your accounts flagged as vulnerable.

Lowell Portfolio xxxxx
                Address
                Address

Date

Char1234
                c/o xxxxxx
                Address
                Address

Dear Sirs,

REF: Your full name / address / account number they've told you if any

I do not acknowledge any debt to your company.

Following a telephone call from one of your team on xxxxx date xxxx 2017 I am writing to request further information relating to a couple of accounts which you allege have been assigned to you for collection.

I have made you aware of my current vulnerable situation, which is that I am currently 27 weeks pregnant, and have just been made unemployed and consequently have become homeless. I did inform the caller that I currently have no income and my only income will be income support starting when I am 29 weeks pregnant. I was suprised to learn that Lowell expect me to use that income to pay these alleged debts or will consider taking court action against me.

I have no details relating to the debts you allege I owe, other than that they are for old mobile phone accounts, possibly over 6 years old, for O2, Three and Orange.

I would appreciate it if you could send me the relevant documents on all of these accounts. I require copies of the original contracts / agreements, details of transactions and a full statement of the accounts, copies of any default notices issued and evidence that these alleged debts have been legally assigned to Lowell.

I will then be a position to seek advice and consider my position.

I'd also like to formally request that I am not telephoned further regarding this matter as I find it quite upsetting and stressful when I am already dealing with so much. If you could put anything in writing at the above address it would be appreciated.

Yours faithfully

Char1234
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

That's perfect thank you so much! I'll write that this weekend and send it first thing Monday! I honestly had no idea about three contract so it's very strange. I've never had a letter about it either not one. I've only ever had debt letters for orange / o2. So strange. Thank you again xxx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X