• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Recording phone calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording phone calls

When you are dealing with a company and you want to record the telephone call do I need to tell each person I speak to? Also if the person the phone says we are recording this call for training and compliance purposes is it enough to say "likewise"?. Finally do I need to register as a data controller?
    Tags: None

Re: Recording phone calls

private calls then no problem your phone your means of communication - just record and say nothing,

Comment

if you are contacting a call centre and you record a voice without the person's consent than it becomes inadmissable in court.

This also applies to an inbound call as the person on the other end still has the right to decline permission.

Agents can also terminate calls for you continuing recording calls without consent or if they ask you to desist.
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Can you record a call and transcribe it

Comment

you can if the person on the other end of the line agrees to you recording it in the first place.

You can also request the transcript of the calls via the company with a SAR request, many agents will decline to allow a recording due to this.
          PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Sorry for arguing SC nut if you don't tell they don't know at least the OP would the recording to compare to theirs if it gets to a SAR has been known for some conversations being lost

Comment

That is allowed, providing you don't want to use your recording as proof in a court case. It will be thrown out under the Telecommunications Act.

You're not arguing hun, merely asking relevant questions

The key when dealing with companies is keep it all in the open, they are SWINES for using the slightest thing to have evidence wiped from cases and the biggest stumbling block people come against is the whole, "Well on my recording....."

As soon as the recording shows there is no consent it is inadmissable, even if the agent admits the company is plotting to take over the Kit Kat factory and outlaw coffee breaks!! (ok so you now know I'm hungry and tired but you get the idea!!)

Comment

Thanks SC I couldn't argue with you im scared LOL

Comment

I'm not scary... im REALLY scary!!

I'm kidding of course, but don't worry I didn't think you were arguing anyway Wales, the question you asked was a valid one to my mind!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X