• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

M&S store ban?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M&S store ban?

Hello,

just over a week ago, I had a horrible experience having used the self-scan tills at an airport M&S location. Having genuinely believed everything had gone through, I had left the store and was rearranging the items while sat just across from the entrance, when I was approached by a member of staff who wanted to go through the items in my possession. I was shocked and of course hugely embarrassed when moments later, four police officers turned up. I was arrested then promptly de-arrested, before answering a few questions, (all of which was recorded on their body cameras). They checked the CCTV and told me it was ‘inconclusive’, and said they’d be in touch,

Nearly a week later, I received a call saying they had NFAd the incident but that I was ‘very lucky’ and the store wished to issue me with a ban. The police officer has asked me to return to the store with him, where he will facilitate the issuing of this. Does anyone know where I stand? I just want this to all be over, I’ve been sick with worry ever since. I’ll take the ban if it means getting it sorted, but am now worried about the police involvement in this - why do they need to be there? Can the police provide the store with my details, (I only gave them to the police, not the store). Am I getting myself worked-up unnecessarily? I believe many of the M&S stores at airports and service stations are in fact operated under franchise, so how might that work?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I’m due to go along this week.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: M&S store ban?

What a horrible experience! Sitting just outside the store to arrange your purchases is hardly the action of a master criminal.
    The clever beagles will give you some sound advice but, hard as it may seem, you need to try and stop fretting. You will get past this and M&S with their 2 for the price of 3 ethos are not the centre of the universe.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

I suspect (but don't know) that the store wish to ban you (which they are entitled to do without any reason at all) but can't send you the letter as they don't know you nor your address.
      The police can't give them this info (Data Protection Act) so to keep the store happy they have asked you to accompany the officer to the store so they can hand you the ban personally.
      When you were arrested, were you cautioned?
      When you were questioned after being dearrested were you advised you were still under caution?
      Were you advised you could have a solicitor present when you were questioned?
      I wouldn't go near them unless the police confirm in writing that they will be taking no further action, and the reason for that decision eg no evidence of intention to steal.
      Wait and see if anyone contacts you again.
      If you let it lie, the store will have to contact the police to remind them, and they might forget!!

What was the value of the items?
      I doubt they are really worried about a ban, what they want to do is get someone like RLP to issue a demand for some extortionate amount of money!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I wasn’t sure if the police could pass on my details to the store, so was also thinking it might be a way for a ban to be issued without the store accessing my details. Of course I don’t want to face a ban from anywhere and am dreading having to deal with this, but feel that if I don’t it’ll only extend the almost nauseous feelings I’m experiencing all the time. Would the store be required to take my details when issuing a ban, or could I refuse to provide these? As there will be a police presence of sorts there I’d rather have some idea beforehand.

The officer has said he will meet me beforehand to issue the NFA letter, so I would have this in my possession before going to the store. A far as I know all the correct procedures were followed at the time, though while the officers reminded me I was entitled to have a solicitor present they did say it might take a while because of the logistics of where we were etc. I know I probably should have had some representation from the beginning but I was just so shocked and stunned by it all and just wanted it over with.

I think the value of the item was around £18, I can’t recall in detail and of course I don’t currently have anything in writing to confirm anything.

All kinds of awful scenarios are running through my mind, much of which I am sure is paranoia but I don’t have much time to decide how best to approach this now.

Comment

Get your NFA letter and take it from there.

So M&S want to ban you... is that such a bad thing.
          There are plenty of other shops.

IMO it would be better to cooperate by giving your address (why have an argument when they are toothless) and then ignore all the ridiculous demands you will doubtlessly receive for imagined losses. These civil recovery firms are very creative when it comes to justifying their demands!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X