• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Made Redundant - Old Position re-advertised under different title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made Redundant - Old Position re-advertised under different title

I was made redundant in June 2017 from a company that I had been working for since Feb 2016. There was no consultancy period or appeals procedure - I was just informed that of the Head Office Staff I was the only one being made redundant. That left: Managing Director, Finance Director, and Marketing Manager. Additionally, the MD's wife works three part days a week (9-2), an accounts assistant working 2.5 days a week and a project assistant who was supposed to be working 9-3 but had been working 9-5 (still on hourly wage though). I was told at the redundancy meeting that I was too expensive and that the two girls were cheaper than I was - they would now be taking over my work. There was still work there - I never stopped working and regularly left late - but the downturn in the business meant that finances were tight. I lost out.

I noted as well he had been preparing the ground for the dismissal as well. After some odd requests for work to be carried out, and a request for me to prepare work sheets detailing what I was doing and how long I was spending I can now see that he was working for the time I was no longer there. I was asked to send him an email at 8:15 every morning with a list of my jobs for the day, and at 5:00pm detailing all work done during the day and that which had been held over or not completed. No other member of staff was monitored like this. In fact, I became so upset at some of things I was being asked to do I specifically asked the FD whether my job was a risk and she said 'not that I am aware'. That was three days before I was made redundant and I'm told that she didn't know until the night before.

While I feel that some of the above was unfair - I was paid two months money as per my contract - I had to accept it, particularly as I had not reached the two years deadline which would would have given more legal rights.

However, whilst still looking for employment I discovered that this company was now placing further adverts and expanding its business. Now the core businesses has not changed - indeed, I entered all the courses we would be running up to July 2018 on to the computer system myself so I knew what the schedule for the next 18 months was. It might have taken on a few more contracts but not enough to expand greatly. Basically, I don't believe that there has been a great upturn in work or contracts knowing what I knew when I left.

Further, I checked the advertisement from my old job to the new one being advertised. It is word for word the same. Every task is exactly the same as what I was expecting to do. The only difference is a) the title of the job and b) that they are offering a different salary amount albeit top end reached what I was earning when I left.

I also believe that the advert's placement has been timed with the hope that I didn't see it - the MD was recently asked for a reference for me so I would suggest that he now thinks I have a new job and won't be looking on job boards anymore so won't see this opportunity. Another member of staff, who may well have spoken up in support of me returning, is down under for 6 weeks so away from the decision making process.

So basically is there a legal claim here? I know its beyond the usual three-month period for tribunal complaints but clearly I'm now getting information that I did not know beforehand which could have affected my ability to have made a claim or appeal the decision.

TIA for any helpful advice that can be given.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X