• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statutory demand from first credit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Statutory demand from first credit

Originally posted by Sindy View Post
    I’m going to send request due the agreement tomorrow. I’ve not asked for one previously & Halifax have never given this to me. I can’t remember how I opened the card. So you’re saying that I can’t request for the demand to be set aside on the basis of not having been given a credit agreement?
    No I'm not saying that.

I'm trying to establish whether you currently have a bona fide dispute or whether you'll be relying on non compliance of a CCA Request which you haven't yet sent.

Send it tomorrow.

And then send a Subject Access Request to the original creditor (Halifax) to see the full history of the account. The Transaction Log may help you with dates/facts surrounding the Default Notice (if there was one served) etc. etc.

It's always good to have more than one legal argument when you go into battle

Statutory Demands are serious stuff. Downloading a form off the internet may not be enough to succeed with an application especially if the other side has legal representation (that's why I asked you if 1st Credit had instructed solicitors).

Di

Comment

They haven’t instructed solicitors & I don’t have an ongoing dispute with them or Halifax. I’ll send the CCA request tomorrow & also send Halifax a subject access request. The reason I asked about the forms is that I approached national debtline & they advised to request the demand be set aside. They sent me various links & I can’t make sense if the paperwork needed to apply for a set aside. Is it form N422? And do I need a witness statement with this? Is there a fee that I have to send with it?

Comment

I don’t have an ongoing dispute with them or Halifax. I’ll send the CCA request tomorrow & also send Halifax a subject access request.
        The reason I asked when (what year) you opened the account was to speculate on the likelihood of 1st Credit being able to comply with your CCA Request and what legislation you'd be relying on in court if they don't comply and/or produce a reconstituted document.

Could you have opened the account before 2007?

If they withdraw the SD, or consent to the set aside then there won't need to be a Hearing. If they don't agree to do either (withdraw or consent) then there will be a court Hearing.

Di

Comment

It was definitely opened before 2007.

- - - Updated - - -

How/why would they withdraw?

Comment

ive Had letter a letter from 1st credit legal dept today stating they have withdrawn the demand. I sent them a subject access request last week and they said they are looking into this and have withdrawn as there is now a dispute. They have said they have passed the SAR to the relevant dept to deal with.

Comment

ive Had letter a letter from 1st credit legal dept today stating they have withdrawn the demand. I sent them a subject access request last week and they said they are looking into this and have withdrawn as there is now a dispute. They have said they have passed the SAR to the relevant dept to deal with.
              What great news!

However, you must still send them (First Credit) a formal s 77-79 CCA Request with a £1 postal order for the statutory fee because that will give you some legal protection whereas a Subject Access Request won't (it's just for information purpose).

You also need to send a Subject Access Request to Halifax as I previously suggested because that will give you the full history of the account from inception. The SAR to 1st Credit will only produce the information which they have on file since it was assigned to them.

They have withdrawn the SD so if they intend to issue a county court claim instead then they must send you a formal Letter Before Claim under the new Pre Action Protocol.

You are no longer under pressure to settle especially if they can't/don't comply with your CCA Request.

It's always better to negotiate from a position of strength.

Di

Comment

Thank you! I appreciate your advice.
                I have sent the CCA request to them today & will definitely send the SAR to Halifax.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you! I appreciate your advice.
                  I have sent the CCA request to them today & will definitely send the SAR to Halifax.

Thanks again!
                  You're welcome.

I'm just happy for you that the Statutory Demand has gone away!

Di

Comment

Thankyou.

ive received a few letters before the demand asking for contact & threatening bankruptcy. I was very stupid in ignoring them.
                    i have been told that if I send a cheque to them so long as my covering letter states clearly that if they bank the cheque they have accepted it a settelememt. Apparently you can accept by ‘action’ it doesn’t have to be written by them?
                    What are the chances of having the demand set aside?
                    Had you wanted to proceed down that route then any payment offer would need to be made by a third party such as Mum, dad, brother, friend etc.

For a contract to be binding there must be an offer, acceptance and consideration ( payment or an action to your detriment).

1st Credit would not be bound if the offer & cheque came from you as although there would be offer ( from you) and possibly acceptance (by cashing cheque) there would be no consideration as you owe the money (and more). If a third party offer is made then as the third party does not owe 1st Credit any money if their cheque was accepted then that would be ‘ good consideration’ and more likely to be upheld by the courts.

Good news on the withdrawal of the SD

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X