• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Removers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removers

Hi

Apologies, but I'm not sure what topic this comes under.

I recently moved and I really won't bore you with everything that happened with the removal company - but it ended up me having to use 3 separate ones in the end. I moved from Herts to Cornwall (250 miles approx). The first company cost me £3,800. Their quote came through a removal quote company. I only went with them (they were in Essex) as they said they could move live animals. When they turned up in a 7 tonne lorry (which originally was supposed to be 2 luton vans), it was airtight and my animals would have probably died if we had gone ahead. We had to then pay £862 to get a proper animal transport company. These cowboys turned up the next day with 2 luton vans, but said they couldn't get everything in. By this point the price had doubled.

They had my animal cages on their lorries and it was around 2pm before they left to go to Cornwall. They didn't tell me that their boss had told them to go back to the depot as it was too late to get to Cornwall now and they all had to work the following day. It was only when we pointed out that the animals could not stay in carriers all night - and they had the carriers - that the Logistics Manager said he would have a think and get back to me. I got to Cornwall (the animal transporters had beaten me to it and left the animals in the house for me and they also had to work the following day), and hadn't heard from the movers. At 11pm one of the lorries turned up but didn't have anybody to help him. I had to help him carry cages and hutches in and he had my baby grand piano, so had to wait for the 2nd lorry to come, which was at 1.15am. The 2nd lorry put the remaining cages everywhere in the house and left them there for me to sort out and put back together. They shoved the remainder of my possessions - including the piano, in the garage and left. They also left a mess on the pavement which I had to clear up. I finally got to bed at 9am the following day after putting together the animal accommodation and getting them back in.

A couple of days later, my legs of the piano suddenly arrived without any correspondence from them - battered in a courier box.

I contacted them to complain but they never responded. They are not part of an ombudsman or mediation company.

The 2nd mover wasn't as bad but it was still a disaster, They are part of an ombudsman and mediation company though, so I have complained via them.

The 3rd mover was appointed to pick up the stuff left by the 2nd, but I have no complaint against them.

The total cost of moving 250 miles was £7,300 using all of the above.

My question is how can I sort out my complaint to the first mover if they are not part of an ombudsman? My CAB only has a telephone number and it's too complex to go through it, and I can't take time off work to see them (they are a long way from where I live).

Is legal action my only option, and what would be the chances of me winning?
    Tags: None

Re: Removers

So the first company you booked and quoted you £3,800 for two luton vans to move all your furniture etc AND transport your live animals. Do you have a copy of the original quote ?

How did you pay ? upfront or after ? credit card ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Removers

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      So the first company you booked and quoted you £3,800 for two luton vans to move all your furniture etc AND transport your live animals. Do you have a copy of the original quote ?

How did you pay ? upfront or after ? credit card ?
      I had the original quote which was £3000 which included the animals and cages/hutches, a washing machine, fridge freezer, some boxes of other stuff, and a chest freezer. A surveyor came round and asked if we needed any other boxes. We said we needed another 10. This caused confusion, we later found out, as they were under the impression it was only 10 boxes in total rather than what we already had, plus another 10. After we said we wouldn't move the animals with them we didn't get any money back - then they said to move all of our stuff, (as he had only quoted for 10 boxes plus the appliances and piano), it would cost me another £800. I didn't have a choice but to pay this as this was on the day and I needed to move out. So this was the £3800. Having read some reviews of their service, one guy moved from Essex to Dublin and it cost him £1200 with full furniture (and for them to set it all up in the new home). For me, they didn't set anything up - just either dumped the cages in the house all over the place, or pushed it into a garage (I can't get into the garage at the moment as all the heavy stuff is at the front - and this was at 1.15am). They didn't have to reassemble the piano (just as well as the legs were sent separately by courier in a battered box - I'm sure the piano is damaged but can't get to it as it's at the back of the garage).

I feel I have been ripped off as this is expensive for the amount of stuff they had to take - and they didn't take half of it (even though I paid for it) as they said the vans were full. That's why I had to get the 2nd mover (who was bad) then the 3rd plus the proper animal transporter I received no money back for them not taking the animals.

I paid via debit card through online banking before the service.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X