• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Does the minimum wage apply to me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the minimum wage apply to me?

I am an HGV DRIVER and work to a rota of 4 days on shift at a time 24 hours a day for a vehicle recovery firm. I sleep when I can and respond to jobs when they come in - day and night - when I'm on shift. When I do a job I'm paid commission but my payslip doesn't show this as a separate figure. There is only one entry on my payslip - Gross Pay. Should I get the minimum wage for the time I spend on shift plus commission or can they use the commission to make my pay up to minimum wage? Thanks in anticipation.
    Tags: None

Re: Does the minimum wage apply to me?

Yes commission is included in the calculations for minimum wage - it's worked out on an average pay over your pay period ( monthly? ) so divide your gross pay ( inc the commission ) by number of hours you work. Do you sleep on premises / in the recovery vehicle or are you able to go home ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have been sleeping on the premises but have just moved out. Now I take the lorry home and work from there.

Comment

Does it matter where you sleep?

Comment

Well, it depends if you are free to carry on with your life generally while on call ... if you sleep at home and just go on call outs then it's unlikely that time is classed as working time for minimum wage purposes, if you slept in a specified location, at work, or in the lorry, then you're more likely to be able to class those on call hours as working time.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X