• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal help needed please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal help needed please

legal help needed please
    Last edited by jo72; 18th November 2017, 17:47:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Ex partner is threatening legal action unless I pay him money I owe him, what to

Originally posted by jo72 View Post
    I split up from my boyfriend recently and sadly it turned into an ugly situation. He had printed up a spreadsheet listing most of the expenses that I owed to him totalling to £200.

The expenses that I owe him are listed next to a brief description for what the money was for, which was roughly over a 9-month period. He paid for expenses, such as a meal out where he paid for the meal and I said I’d either return the favour or pay him back, but I never did, or he paid for me to get into a club when I forgot to bring my purse and again I might have said I’ll give you the money for it but didn’t in the end. In my defence, I have paid for tickets myself to events that I never asked anything back for but as a gift, which I told him about, but he said those occasions make up for other times where he paid for things, such as a load of booze he bought last New Year’s Eve and I never gave him anything towards it but since I provided the food I thought we were even. The list goes on detailing other small expenses like paying for parking, entrance fees to a museum or for breakfast at a café. As you can see this is a complicated situation and one I feel was not necessary to bring up.

He threatened to take me to the small claims court if I did not give him the money as he had kept all the receipts for the occasions where he paid. Would this even stand up in a court of law and is he in he’s legal right to ask for this money back?
    The real question for you is how would you stand up in court?
    If he makes the claim, do you feel confident in refuting it?

Comment

Re: Ex partner is threatening legal action unless I pay him money I owe him, what to

what sort a chap is that mummies boy spoilt, you take somebody out and then charge them for it if you part company, be honest a judge if it ever went that far would say wasting courts time, and his cost including case would double for him.. what a dxxxxxd will not say it! urhgh

Comment

Originally posted by jo72 View Post
        I split up from my boyfriend recently and sadly it turned into an ugly situation. He had printed up a spreadsheet listing most of the expenses that I owed to him totalling to £200.

. . . . In my defence, I have paid for tickets myself to events that I never asked anything back for but as a gift, which I told him about, but he said those occasions make up for other times where he paid for things

. . . He threatened to take me to the small claims court if I did not give him the money as he had kept all the receipts for the occasions where he paid. Would this even stand up in a court of law and is he in he’s legal right to ask for this money back?

I doubt this would stand up in a court of law.

In order to prove his claim he'd have to convince the court that these payments/expenses were a loan not a gift. He'd need to evidence that with a written or oral agreement.

You say you've also paid for things which he's benefited from so maybe draw up your own spreadsheet and advise him that if he does issue a claim you'll be issuing a counterclaim!

Read this article which helps to put things in legal context and also advises the lady to report her ex to the police for harassment if his threats continue >

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...bought-me.html

I'm sorry things have turned ugly for you, let's hope he gives up the fight once you make him aware of his hopeless legal position.

Di

Comment

Perhaps you're best splitting up from him !!

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
            Perhaps you're best splitting up from him !!
            1st words were " Have split up"

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post
              The real question for you is how would you stand up in court?
              If he makes the claim, do you feel confident in refuting it?
              The real question is whether the OP has a Defence to any claim brought by her ex boyfriend.

I hope the OP will now feel more confident in refuting a court claim after I posted my advice in post #4.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X