• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN's and DVLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN's and DVLA

Hi

The PCN I received for Fistral Beach was addressed to my old address (I moved in July) - however, I had registered my new address with DVLA.

I presume my car is still registered to my old address as the PCN showed this not my new one.

My question, however is this: How did the PCN company get my home address? If this is DVLA - are they allowed to give out personal data under the DPA? I would have thought not as the PCN is a private company.
    Tags: None

Re: PCN's and DVLA

DVLA can and will share your details for specific reasons including parking companies. They receive a remuneration for doing so.

Comment

They say that they can release personal data if a private company shows just cause for it - like a parking fine that isn't paid. It doesn't however say it gives personal data to a company that requests the date BEFORE it sends the PCN.

This is also a breach of data on the DVLA's part. Why do they get away with selling data when others rightly can't? Hmmm time to write to MP I think.

Comment

The parking companies show that there is an outstanding charge but they don't know the driver so are allowed to find out the keeper so that they have an address to send the keeper liability notice to.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          The parking companies show that there is an outstanding charge but they don't know the driver so are allowed to find out the keeper so that they have an address to send the keeper liability notice to.
          So wrong and DVLA should not be allowed to give out personal data to a private company - especially for cash.

Comment

Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 Regulation 27(1)(e) :“The Secretary of State may make any particulars contained in the registeravailable for use - by any person who can show to the satisfaction of theSecretary of State that he has reasonable cause for wanting the particularsto be made available to him”

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...lation/27/made

Comment

Originally Posted by ostell

So wrong and DVLA should not be allowed to give out personal data to a private company - especially for cash.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...lation/27/made[/QUOTE]

Apparently the DVLA are acting within the law. If people disagree with the law the it's MPs who you need to complain to. It is MPs who make the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post

Originally Posted by ostell

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...lation/27/made
                Apparently the DVLA are acting within the law. If people disagree with the law the it's MPs who you need to complain to. It is MPs who make the law.

[/QUOTE]

Not technically true in this case. MP's have been complaining about DVLA making millions out of selling motorist's personal data to private car parking companies charging up to £100 on the pretext that DVLA think this is just cause to sell personal data (a breach of data protection in it's most simplest form). DVLA hide behind the clause they have that it's just cause if the motorist hasn't paid a car parking notice on private land, but the motorist often doesn't know of this fine until it's sent to the keeper by post.

Both the practice of selling our data and private companies acting in this way, needs to be stopped and yes, the MP's need to clamp down on both DVLA and these scammers, as both are acting in an unscrupulous way.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X