• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell letter of claim - is it statute barred? What should I do next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell letter of claim - is it statute barred? What should I do next?

Hi

I hope someone can provide me with a bit of advice!

This debt has been floating around for several years, and I entered into a dispute with the original company about the debt as I felt the debt was unfairly allocated. I was 17 at the time and as staff, we were bribed into getting store cards (allowed to leave early, discount vouchers etc.)

I was dismissed by the original company, and the debt was sold - but I have ignored all letters as they have been scare tactics, up until the one I received today - see the attachment.

The date of the agreement was 04/12/11 - so I don't know if this is statute barred or soon will be? Should I respond with this letter and the form, asking for more information? I do not want to be taken to court, but I do not want to pay out of fear or scare tactics - I have been contacted by them before offering massive discounts etc.

The interesting thing is that the debt doesn't and has never appeared on my credit file - and the last thing I need is it popping up now.

I would appreciate any advice.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell letter of claim - is it statute barred? What should I do next?

Under 18 when you got the card? hmmm.... tagging @Diana M @Amethyst

did you ever make any repayments to the card?

How old were you when you were sacked?

I assume there were some attachments with the letter such as a Reply Form?

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
      Under 18 when you got the card? hmmm.... tagging @Diana M @Amethyst

did you ever make any repayments to the card?

How old were you when you were sacked?

I assume there were some attachments with the letter such as a Reply Form?
      Thanks so much for replying. I can't remember how old I was when I took out the card, I have never seen the original copy of the agreement so I don't know what the date was. I made payments to the original stores card, but not one payment made since it has defaulted.

I wasn't sacked, I left to go university. And yes, there were reply forms and a financial breakdown for me to fill in of my circumstances.

I just need advice on what to do next. I don't know whether to agree a payment plan but I really don't feel I should pay it. It doesn't appear on my credit score on any of the sites, and I don't want it to suddenly pop up on there as I'm just about to remortgage!

Thank you for any advice.

Comment

OK well if there is any chance that you were 17 when you took the card, that would be interesting...

On the reply form, you can reply asking for a copy of your CCA agreement - that will have a date on it so you can tell how old you were. Also ask for a statement of account showing the payments you made to the card. See https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/ for details.

You have 30 days to reply, don't rush to send it off, wait to see what other people say here first.

When does your fixed rate end?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X