• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot saying I had a ccj

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot saying I had a ccj

Hi I received a letter about 3 months ago from Cabot Financial saying that they were sorry for the delay in contacting me , some delay I’d never heard of them. Then a phone call stating that I owed £6300 I was like what?and stated (that in no way I was acknowledging the debt) I’m presuming it was for an old debt but I can’t remember it being that much plus there was probably ppi on it, anyway they have said over the phone there was a ccj in 2008 but I never had any letters or nothing to say that someone had put out a ccj against me so I told them that if it’s that old it would be statute barred,I’m thinking that it was the original lender maybe that had a ccj against me but they haven’t enforced it and it’s now not on my credit file.
    Now today 3 days after the phone call I get another letter but this time they say that they will take off nearly £2000 of the original amount should I send them a prove it letter or wait until there next move as it doesn’t sound to me like they have much confidence in getting the debt repaid any info will be greatly received thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot saying I had a ccj

Originally posted by Gazz70 View Post
    I received a letter about 3 months ago from Cabot Financial saying that they were sorry for the delay in contacting me , some delay I’d never heard of them. Then a phone call stating that I owed £6300 I was like what?and stated (that in no way I was acknowledging the debt) I’m presuming it was for an old debt but I can’t remember it being that much plus there was probably ppi on it, anyway they have said over the phone there was a ccj in 2008 but I never had any letters or nothing to say that someone had put out a ccj against me so I told them that if it’s that old it would be statute barred,I’m thinking that it was the original lender maybe that had a ccj against me but they haven’t enforced it and it’s now not on my credit file.
    Now today 3 days after the phone call I get another letter but this time they say that they will take off nearly £2000 of the original amount should I send them a prove it letter or wait until there next move as it doesn’t sound to me like they have much confidence in getting the debt repaid any info will be greatly received thanks.
    Hello

I've read your post which suggests Cabot say that they obtained a CCJ (Default Judgement) against you in 2008 (i.e. ten years ago).

It appears you may not have known about the claim which they made at the time (or the Judgment) which may give you the opportunity to make an Application for a set aside of that CCJ (more details needed).

Can you let me have a little more information such as any change of address along the way and whether the Claimant is Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd which is not licensed.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
      Hello

I've read your post which suggests Cabot say that they obtained a CCJ (Default Judgement) against you in 2008 (i.e. ten years ago).

It appears you may not have known about the claim which they made at the time (or the Judgment) which may give you the opportunity to make an Application for a set aside of that CCJ (more details needed).

Can you let me have a little more information such as any change of address along the way and whether the Claimant is Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd which is not licensed.

Di
      Hi I have been at my address for nearly 14 years and looking at the letter it says original lender GMAC online finance,current creditor MFS Portfolio I would presume that it was the original lender who took out the ccj against me, but as I said I never received anything to notify me of this and I’m in Scotland if that makes a difference thanks
      Last edited by Gazz70; 16th November 2017, 07:12:AM. Reason: Missed word

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz70 View Post
        Hi I have been at my address for nearly 14 years and looking at the letter it says original lender GMAC online finance,current creditor MFS Portfolio I would presume that it was the original lender who took out the ccj against me, but as I said I never received anything to notify me of this and I’m in Scotland if that makes a difference thanks
        Is the Marlin Financial?

nem

Comment

CCJ's once awarded never go Statute Barred even when they fall off your Credit History. They have however left it too long to for enforcement without permission from the Court - which is rarely given. They can ask you nicely to pay it but if you refuse to reply or engage with them then that is their tough luck. They are hoping you will just cough up without a fight.

Comment

That’s what I thought and seemed strange that they have sent a reduced settlement which states to me that they will struggle to enforce this debt, so should I ignore or get legal advice like C.A.B thanks

Comment

If it were me I would see what they come up with & possibly play them at their own game.

Comment

Ok will let you know what they try next thanks for your help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X