• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

written off debt LOWELL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• written off debt LOWELL

hi guys

after a long dispute over a mobile phone debt - Lowell wrote off a debt saying they were not aware of any outstanding or previous disputes on this account . They had purchased the debt in good faith.
    Said best way to resolve the debt was to write off the outstanding balance and remove any default from credit agencies.

This was 2 years ago ,I have now this week received a letter saying the are in effect reversing that decision in so many words and want the debt paid - can they do this ? any help would be welcome.

many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: written off debt LOWELL

Did you get the original offer to write off the debt and remove the default in writing? did they remove the default ?

When you say 'in effect' - do you mean they are refering to that original decision in the letter or just sent a general 'like it never happened' letter chasing the debt ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I haven't heard of this happening. It seems very unreasonable - you are now in a much worse position to be able to try to get the dispute resolved because:
      - people's memories about what happened are less good after two years
      - you may have got rid of your notes and letters about the dispute as you had assumed it was settled.

I suggest you put in a formal written complaint to Lowells, email is fine at complaintsresolution@lowellgroup.co.uk and ask them to write off the alleged debt.

Comment

If the letter was in writing as already asked, do you still have it?

It may, potentially be worth sending a SAR to Lowell if you do not have a letter.

There does seem to be some suggestion firms are now trawling back through old files and stayed claims trying to resurrect them.

I had an account with Lowell they agreed to close although they have not removed the credit file entry. I will wait and see.

Comment

Hi Amethyst - I have the original letter to write off and they did remove default, I find this all very odd as it is the same account number for original debt in the letter received this week .
          should I ring them or answer in writing ? orjust ignore this recent letter .
          thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
          I haven't heard of this happening. It seems very unreasonable - you are now in a much worse position to be able to try to get the dispute resolved because:
          - people's memories about what happened are less good after two years
          - you may have got rid of your notes and letters about the dispute as you had assumed it was settled.

I suggest you put in a formal written complaint to Lowells, email is fine at complaintsresolution@lowellgroup.co.uk and ask them to write off the alleged debt.
          Hi Debt Camel - it is very odd because like I said default was removed and conformation debt written off - but they have asked for t to be settled .
          thanks

Comment

I suggest a formal complaint with a copy of their letter.

Comment

it is very odd because like I said default was removed and conformation debt written off - but they have asked for t to be settled .
              Well it could be an error, or they could be doing it deliberately. But there isn't much point in trying to work this out, in either event you should put in a complaint in writing, not over the phone.

Comment

Going through the same here, Notice of discontinuance received in March 2015, balance showing as zero, last entry 02/16 according to experian, its closed according to noddle. Still have all the paperwork though so will tie lowells up in knots. I see no reason why the default cannot be removed its entirety as it is false and inaccurate data. Raised a dispute with both experian and noddle.

Comment

Originally posted by beaconsman View Post
                  Going through the same here, Notice of discontinuance received in March 2015, balance showing as zero, last entry 02/16 according to experian, its closed according to noddle. Still have all the paperwork though so will tie lowells up in knots. I see no reason why the default cannot be removed its entirety as it is false and inaccurate data. Raised a dispute with both experian and noddle.
                  Not entirely sure why the default should be removed. If I understand you correctly, you did default however they discontinued the claim and wrote off the debt. A discontinuance is not the same as having it ruled irredeemably unenforceable - it more of a tactical win- no one has ruled on the agreement.
                  Is it any difference to having a debt showing as settled with a balance of 0 when it has been sold on- still an accurate reflection

Comment

It is not according to my sources as the defaulted amount wasn't debt, it was extortionate charges which made the account go into default in the first place. I am contesting this with vanquis also.

Comment

Originally posted by beaconsman View Post
                      It is not according to my sources as the defaulted amount wasn't debt, it was extortionate charges which made the account go into default in the first place. I am contesting this with vanquis also.
                      Unfortunately as you did default on the debt the entry is currently correct until Vanquis confirm that the charges were incorrectly applied and that without the charges having been applied the account would not have been defaulted.

Vanquis put the default on the account when you originally defaulted - Lowell would have taken over the reporting monthly after it was sold to them, but the default will fall off the file 6 years after it was originally applied. When was the original default date? What was the balance then, and how much of that was charges?
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Good Morning, charges are in excess of £200 (ish), I have sent Vanquis a letter asking them to refund me the ROP charges. Original default was Oct 2013, £200 ish default date, most or in fact all of these are charges, interest applied plus ROP. Balance now is Zero as of feb 2016, no further entries since, account been "partially settled" and closed according to Noddle and Experian.

I apologise for coming across badly warwick, I am on strong meds at the moment and also off work long term. I hope to to return this side of Christmas (if GP lets me...)..things will get back to normal. I hate codeine and diazepam,,

Comment

Hi @beaconsman

Clearly we had crossed wires so lets write that little spat off.

Comment

Good Morning all, had a standard reply from Vanquis, so a bit of a wait now until 9th Jan 2018, 56 days from 15th Nov.

Comment

If the letter is the final response to your complaint you don't need to wait the 8 weeks.

See https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/DISP/1/6.html
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X