• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Questions are growing about a possible bubble in the debt industry.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions are growing about a possible bubble in the debt industry.

There is an interesting article in The Times Business section today about a possible debt bubble within the Debt Collection Agencies. Seems ironic!

Search, using your favourite search engine, - The Times with "Questions are growing about a possible bubble in the debt industry"

It claims financial experts are worried about the expansion of the debt purchasing industry is creating a bubble that will soon burst.

They say that most of these 'toxic' debts have scant paperwork; time barred or belong to the poorest sections of our society. Therefore, they will find realising these potential assets will not work. That is they will have difficulty getting the money. Since these DCAs have borrowed heavily to purchase their port folios they will soon run into financial trouble.

It goes on to say that these companies have become more aggressive ( and in a lot of cases illegal) in their activities to collect on these debts. They list some of the complaints inc. spitting in envelopes sent out to people. Yuck!

Cabot, Lidorff, Intrum, Arrow, Hoist, Lowell are amongst some of the names mentioned as having unstable business models.

Hedge fund managers are worried a lot of these companies will go bust.

I wonder what will happen to all the debts purchased?

sidley
    Tags: None

Re: Questions are growing about a possible bubble in the debt industry.

As the Times is behind a paywall i will see if I can find a copy and scan it

Comment

Hi Warwick,

I have a copy I can scan, just worried about the copyright laws?

Comment

Will we lose sleep if some of these companies go bust?

Comment

The article states that the financial authorities are worried about another sub-prime loan collapse, although not on the scale of Northern Rock or Lehman Bros. The scale of these companies is too small to bring about another financial collapse.

Comment

The Times .pdf

Page 1 is the article and pages 2 and 3 show the 'behind the story'

Sorry for the poor scanning, if anyone can do a better job be my guest

Comment

Interesting though how the Times reports incorrectly about Limitations - it was a view expressed to me several years ago by a DMC.

They say 'If a lender does not contact a company for six years the debt can be deemed unenforceable'

This, as we know is not the case- they can write every week if they so wish but it doesn't stop a dent becoming SB

Comment

Same old same old...
                Attached Files
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Warwick,

What are the exact rules about SB is it just last payment made?

sidley

Comment

Originally posted by sidley View Post
                    Thanks Warwick,

What are the exact rules about SB is it just last payment made?

sidley
                    Sadly much more complicated than that and we could talk for a month about what is the cause of action.

However it is 6 years from the cause of action, but that is reset by any payment or written acknowledgement of the claim.

Many debt purchasers argue the cause of Action is the default date (or remedy date from the DN) which may or may not be correct

Comment

Many debt purchasers argue the cause of Action is the default date (or remedy date from the DN) which may or may not be correct
                      Presumably, the one from the original creditor? Selling it to a DCA does not restart the clock?

sidley

Comment

Indeed, one of my discontinued claim, has two dates on it, 2012 and 2013..like plucking things out of thin air. Today I have put together a letter to have the original default removed..see what happens..

Comment

@ beaconsman.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi Sidley

No selling it to the creditor, or sending a cca request does not reset the clock

It would take a written acknowledgement or a payment to reset the clock which is always my personal worry about engaging too much with a creditor or trying for misselling with a PDL or reclaiming PPI

Remember that the default date on a credit report does not necessarily correspond with the default date of a DN

Comment

Thanks Warwick

sidley

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X