• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claims advice please

I'll make it as brief as possible and thank you in advance.

Contractor working for my small ltd company
    We paid late after 28 days usually a few days but after a hold up in a tasty invoice we struggled to pay the last two in good time, they we're settled 2 months late in August this year.

The last we heard was a chase on the final invoice in August and it was then paid.

A few weeks ago an online court claim form arrived by hand from someone in the town who thought it important enough not to throw it away as post is often sent to her by mistake (she's just leaving the rented property, now we know why mail doesn't get to us always)! It was addressed to us.

I filled in an acknowledgement of service ticking dispute whole claim as we had no idea what the breakdown was at that time it was out of date and after calling the court and explaining we'd literally just received it (1 week after the return date) the court advised to fill in the Acknowledgement of Service form to buy us time to investigate.

This claim is the only contact since paying the overdue invoice, no warning, no invoice for the late fees, no explanation why some going back a few years are now being used to ask for a lump sum, nothing.

After speaking with a local Solicitors secretary she advised he didn't want to help as the amount of the claim wasn't worth it to the company but that I should make an offer to settle out of court.

I have since looked up the statutory fees on the gov website and found the claim to breakdown to £40 per invoice for several invoices in line with these fees spanning a few years out of the 150+ invoices from this contractor in these years.

My two questions are:

Now I've filed an acknowledgement of service and ticked I intend to defend all of the claim as at the time I didn't have a clue what it was for.

Do I have to reply to the court on the Acknowledgement of service, it says I have to make a defence. Can I make the defence that this is without prior indication of court action from the claimant?

If I make an offer to the claimant and it's accepted do I still have to reply to the court?

It seems a bit extreme to just wake up one day and send someone to court for mostly historic late payment fees without a word. I would really appreciate some sage advice.

I am aware the fees are a result of my own actions and obviously I've learnt a soon to be expensive lesson in paying on time but I would have appreciated some form of communication before this action was taken.
    Tags: None

Re: Small claims advice please

After you acknowledge you get 33 days from the date of isse to supply a defence to the court and the claimant. They can't just drop in a claim without you getting some form of prior notification of an alleged debt.

What is stated in the particulars of claim?

Comment

Thank you Ostell, your time is appreciated.

It says:
      Statutory late payment charges owed under late payment legislation on the following invoices.

It then lists each date, invoice number, amount of invoice and how many days late it was paid

That's it, hence our surprise and needing to time to work out how the sum claimed was arrived at.

Comment

On the Acknowledgement of service page it list 3 options

1: I intend to defend all of this claim (I ticked this)
        2: I intend to defend part of this claim
        3: I intend to contest jurisdiction

It then says:
        If you file an acknowledgement of service but do not file a defence within 28 days of the date of service of the claim form, or particulars of the claim if served separately, judgement may be entered against you.

If you do not file an application within 14 days of the date of filing this acknowledgement of service, it will be assumed that you accept the court's jurisdiction and judgement may be entered against you. END.

Today is 12 days since the filing of the acknowledgement of service and after chasing the solicitors secretary for over a week to find he's not wanting to take this on is very frustrating.

Comment

You can manage in the small claims. The critical date, as I said, is 33 days from date of issue. If you need more time yoou can apply to the court but it will cost you..

Comment

Do I have to reply to the court on the Acknowledgement of service, it says I have to make a defence. Can I make the defence that this is without prior indication of court action from the claimant?

If I make an offer to the claimant and it's accepted do I still have to reply to the court?

Comment

The AOS and defence are 2 seperate items.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X