• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Return of seized property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of seized property

Not sure if this is the right place for this, apologies if not...

Approx 8 weeks ago I was arrested and had some equipment (laptop, phone) seized by police for investigation, I was released on bail without condition the following day. There had been no contact from them at all until yesterday when I received a letter informing me that I can arrange to collect my property. But nothing about the status of the investigation; would seized property be returned if an investigation is still active? Should I expect to be told 'No Further Action' anytime soon? Unless they intend to charge me for downloading 2 or 3 episodes of tv shows, (that wasn't the reason for arrest) I knew there was nothing to be found. My solicitor gets zero response despite asking many times for updates and information. Any help, insight or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wit's end quite honestly.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Return of seized property

Originally posted by DanyT View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, apologies if not...

Approx 8 weeks ago I was arrested and had some equipment (laptop, phone) seized by police for investigation, I was released on bail without condition the following day. There had been no contact from them at all until yesterday when I received a letter informing me that I can arrange to collect my property. But nothing about the status of the investigation; would seized property be returned if an investigation is still active? Should I expect to be told 'No Further Action' anytime soon? Unless they intend to charge me for downloading 2 or 3 episodes of tv shows, (that wasn't the reason for arrest) I knew there was nothing to be found. My solicitor gets zero response despite asking many times for updates and information. Any help, insight or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wit's end quite honestly.

Thanks in advance.
    Is this perhaps a case of No news equals Good news. Seizing of your equipment was an attempt by the police to advance their investigation. Perhaps those investigations are still ongoing hence the police silence.

Comment

Re: Return of seized property

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post
      Is this perhaps a case of No news equals Good news. Seizing of your equipment was an attempt by the police to advance their investigation. Perhaps those investigations are still ongoing hence the police silence.
      That's what I had surmised yes. My real question is whether seized property would be returned if an investigation was still active/ongoing? Suffice to say that when no evidence is found on the equipment taken, that is essentially their only line of investigation concluded. I've read differing information;
      • One site says "The police will hold your property until all relevant matters have been dealt with and court proceedings or investigations have come to a conclusion."
      • Another says "They cannot keep items for use as evidence in a trial or for forensic examination if a photograph or copy is a reasonable alternative. This is also relevant to digital equipment such as computer hard drives."

So I guess I'm trying to ascertain how likely it is that the fact they're returning my belongings means it's only a formality before the case is closed?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X