• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination - maintaining insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination - maintaining insurance

Hi,

First time here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm planning on handing my Megane back under VT. Renault finance have said I need to maintain my current insurance until they have collected the car. Is this correct? My understanding is that as soon as the agreement is terminated the vehicle becomes their concern and under their own insurance.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Ian
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination - maintaining insurance

Strictly speaking, yes arrangements for insurance and tax will be their role when the agreement terminates as all liability under it falls away, except for the provisions stated in section 100 i.e. 50% and unpaid arrears etc.

Bear in mind that you also need to take reasonable care of the car whilst it is in your possession. Renault may argue that this would fall under the 'reasonable care' category and that having the car on the road (unless its sitting on a drive) but the CCA specifically sets out your liability under section 100 and, any contractual provisions which impose additional liability (whether directly or indirectly) are void and unenforceable.

The template letter on here suggests termination effective immediately but if your planning for example to terminate at the end of the month then you might want to give Renault sufficient notice to arrange the insurance and tax - it will show you are being reasonable rather than handing it to them last minute and being unreasonable.

The termination letter would need to be amended to say that the agreement will terminate on X date. It would also be sensible to mention that Renault will need to arrange for tax and insurance on the vehicle as these will be cancelled on the day of the agreement ending since you will no longer responsible for these charges.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: Voluntary Termination - maintaining insurance

Hi R0b.

Thanks for the advice.I'll keep the car on my drive but I think I'll err on the side of caution and keep it insured.

I've called RCI and they have sent the VT pack that I won't be signing, so they are aware of my inention. I'm around the mileage that I'm meant to have done. There are a couple of minor scuffs but nothing unreasonable for a 4 year old car.

So far this site has been incredibly helpful.

Thanks.

Ian

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X