• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortimer Clarke/Cabot Financial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortimer Clarke/Cabot Financial

Good morning all,
    I've been reading up on the various paperwork required to properly defend myself against what you call a 'Letter before action' in the post this morning (dated 3 Nov), I just want to make sure I've got this right.
    According to the letter I had an unsecured loan with Lloyds TSB, which was assigned to Cabot in June last year.

Fair enough, I had a loan (from April 2011) and was made redundant around March 13, stopped paying and went a little transient. Now I'm settled again, I get this letter.

Let me see if I've got this straight:
    1. A CCA ( S77-79 request) to Cabot with a £1 postal order - found the template, gratitude to all involved.
    - keep own copy
    - send Royal Mail Signed for, keep receipt

2. A CPR sent to Mortimer Clarke - again, thanks for the templates.

I also have a 'Reply Form' from Mortimer Clarke. Any further information on how best to proceed would be greatly received.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Mortimer Clarke/Cabot Financial

See https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/ for my thoughts on how to complete the Reply Form.

Do you have other debts from this time?

Comment

Originally posted by calibanzwei View Post
      I've been reading up on the various paperwork required to properly defend myself against what you call a 'Letter before action' in the post this morning (dated 3 Nov), I just want to make sure I've got this right. . . .

Let me see if I've got this straight:
      1. A CCA ( S77-79 request) to Cabot with a £1 postal order - found the template, gratitude to all involved.
      - keep own copy
      - send Royal Mail Signed for, keep receipt

2. A CPR sent to Mortimer Clarke - again, thanks for the templates.

I also have a 'Reply Form' from Mortimer Clarke.
      If you've received a Letter Before Action not a county court claim then you wouldn't send the CPR 31.14 Request because that only applies to live claims.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
        See https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/ for my thoughts on how to complete the Reply Form.

Do you have other debts from this time?
        No, not that I'm aware of. Thanks for the extra info.

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
        If you've received a Letter Before Action not a county court claim then you wouldn't send the CPR 31.14 Request because that only applies to live claims.

Di
        Understood - only after reading the template a second time did I twig that it wasn't necessary as I hadn't even applied for the CCA, never mind received it to attach!
        It is only the '...Cabot may ask us to issue court proceedings...' letter.

Thanks

Comment

Oh, and the Reply Form goes back to Mortimer Clarke, not Cabot, as its their form - still two letters to send!

Comment

I had an unsecured loan with Lloyds TSB, which was assigned to Cabot in June last year.
            Was the debt assigned to Cabot Financial (Europe) Ltd or Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd?

Di

Comment

Was the debt assigned to Cabot Financial (Europe) Ltd or Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd?

Di
              Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd.

If it comes down to it they'll get whatever minimum financial payments I can manage, however with my carers allowance I am frugal to say the least and want to ensure I'm properly educated and informed!

Comment

Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd.
                That could cause them a problem if they do issue a court claim

Di

Comment

That could cause them a problem if they do issue a court claim

Di
                  Why them, the problem? I believe I'm missing something!

Comment

Having done some more reading over the weekend, Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd are indeed unlicensed - how could this affect the process I'm about to go down?
                    Continue to send the CCA to Cabot & 'Reply Form' to MC, or is it a good idea to draft a new letter to Mortimer Clarke pointing out that their client is without license and carrying on with activities for which a license is required, without one, is a criminal offence.
                    See where things go from there?

Save myself a £1 - told you I was tight!

Comment

Regardless of the authorisation issue I'd send the CCA - it can be invaluable in defending these cases.

Regards authorisation - I'm sure Di will fill in the details and how best to handle it, whether to bring it up at this stage or not etc, later, but for now an overview on a similar company ( also unlicensed currently ) on this thread http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...l=1#post662664 . There's no publicly available judgments/rulings by the courts on the issue so it's a little up in the air how definitive the situation is ( again Di can expand on that )
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks, just noting my options.

Comment

is it a good idea to draft a new letter to Mortimer Clarke pointing out that their client is without license and carrying on with activities for which a license is required, without one, is a criminal offence.
                          No that would not be a good idea.

You've received a 'Letter Before Claim' not a county court claim - there's a big difference.

Don't make the mistake of entering into some informal Pre-Trial Review where you enable them to fish for information from you. You're the one asking questions and seeking disclosure of documents from them, not the other way round.

Ask don't tell, but don't ask for too much or you'll find that they source all the information they need to prove their case and then issue a claim.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X