Thread: Meanings on Companies House pages re accounts.

• Display

VIP Member

Mentions
    180 Post(s)

Default Meanings on Companies House pages re accounts.

Little bit of help please on understanding what is meant by statements on the Companies house pages. Just lining ducks up for queries when my wife (or probably me!) becomes an executor of a friends estate, which looks as though it will be very soon as we have already brought into play the Power of Attorney.

The lady lives in a block of 4 flats and a company was set up for the lease and maintenance etc. and the directors are the owners of the flats. There are regular payments of £25 from each of the owners into the company, presumably to provide funds for insurance, maintenance etc. These funds seem to be building up but when repairs are needed the company comes back to the residents for a payment to share the costs. There is a reported reasonable sum in the bank account, rising year by year.

The company is listed on Companies House as "Private company limited by guarantee without share capital" and yet when I look at the latest filed accounts the balance sheet is showing Assets: Cash in Bank £X000 and then Liabilities: Shareholders funds £X000 giving total assets as £0.

My question is how can this be shareholders funds when there are no shareholders?

Just been told, via a message from the hospital, that the lady will now be receiving only palliative care. It's sad but she is 89, severely disabled and her family don't bother with her.

VIP Member

Mentions
    469 Post(s)

Default Re: Meanings on Companies House pages re accounts.

I would have expected to see "Shareholders funds" replaced by "reserves" in the balance sheet.
    It might be worth a call to the auditors to see if it was a typo

Site Owner

Mentions
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ostell View Post
    The company is listed on Companies House as "Private company limited by guarantee without share capital" and yet when I look at the latest filed accounts the balance sheet is showing Assets: Cash in Bank £X000 and then Liabilities: Shareholders funds £X000 giving total assets as £0.
    Does it actually state a figure for shareholder funds or is it zero?

I like your pin shot
    I keep it with your letter
    Done up in blueprint blue
    It sure looks good on you
    And when you smile for the camera
    I know I'll love you better

Then the shutter falls
    You see it all in 3-D
    It's your favorite foreign movie

'Peg'

Donald Jay Fagen

VIP Member

Mentions
    180 Post(s)

There is a figure in there, in the thousands and matching cash in bank. It has been stated that way for some years now, looking back at filings

The person doing the accounts, one of the directors, is supposedly an auditor. I've just started on this and am a little bit suspicious on the way it is run.

I'm building up to getting some of that cash back into the estate of the lady my wife and i have helped to look after. I've know her for some 40 + years, she worked at the same place I did.