• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Complaint to employer. Breaking the national minimum wage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint to employer. Breaking the national minimum wage

Hi. Judt needed some advice. I currently work in the care industry. At our place we do sleep ins as our clients need 24 hour care.

A letter was written complaining that in light of recent rulings regarding sleep in pay, the employer was underpaying us under the national minimum wage. This was discussed in our staff meeting with all the staff names typed on it. The area manager wanted to know who sent it. They were very dismissive of the letter. The area manager commented on the poor way it was written. They wrote directly to the individual concerned saying they would look into it. As per company procedure, they failed to respond within the 10 working days.

In fear of being singled out and the effects it could have, an anonmynus letter was sent to the company. It stated that they had broken the law by not paying the minimum wage. It also said we should have been paid the full amount from the end of July. It requested that a response had to be made in 14 days on how they were going to address the back pay. It also expressed concerns of what may happen to the sleep ins and how it could affect our residents.

Whilst not everyone saw the letter before it was sent, then the manager has shown the staff sinse. Whilst some did not give their consent, all agree, including the manager that the contents were right.

The only response that we have had from the company is:

They have asked staff if they saw the letter and gave their consent. In fear of reprisals, especially since the first letter, all staff have been made to sign this.

Secondly the company want to know who it is from, even though everyone agrees with the contents but fear for their jobs.

Wanted some advice on this as we feel they are bullying us to find out, and not address the real issue. Some of us feel that as most of our staff are from abroad, the company is taking advantage of this.

Luckily our manager is brillant but their hands are tied. Its down to our head office.
    Last edited by roygoodbeat; 9th November 2017, 20:53:PM. Reason: Spelling
    Tags: None

Re: Complaint to employer. Breaking the national minimum wage

BUMP **No response**

- - - Updated - - -

Tagging [MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION] [MENTION=26290]mariefab[/MENTION] [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Agree with you that the company are missing the point my thoughts are that they are trying to find out how many staff are raising this as an issue to work out the size of the problem they are facing.

In the original letter was it more of an informal tone or did it indicate that it was a formal grievance?

Are any of you in a union as this would be something that they could raise as an issue on your behalf which would give a "buffer" to you and your colleagues.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Further to my recent post, I need some advice on our employer.

Some of us wrote to the employer anonymously with our concerns over the monies owed to us prior to the 27th July 2017, the monies due since then and proposed changes to our sleep-in arrangements. We wrote this as we feared our jobs if HR found out.

1) The company tried to find out who wrote the letter. They got all the staff to sign if they knew anything about the letter and did they give authorisation. Most of us signed we did not in order to protect our identities, but we all signed “but we agree with the contents”. We all felt the company was more focused on who wrote it, rather than address the issues.
        2) Over the last few days, they have called us all in individually after the company had an emergency manager meeting. We were all told verbally that the company has until March 2019 to pay. In addition, they said that they would be waiting for an appeal due in March over sleep in pay. From what we have understood, the ruling regarding back dated pay by the inland revenue only applies to pay owed up to the 27th July 2017. Normal enforcement by HMRC applies for pay after this date. A number of care companies already pay the correct amount, but the company still only pay Ł35 for a 9.5/ 10 hour sleep in. We are often up during the night and rarely get any extra.
        3) We were all told verbally that the company may have to consider closures if this is pursued. We all felt that this was delivered in a threatening manner.
        4) In terms of moving forward, they have proposed that our sleep ins will change to on call. We were told we could leave the premises at night and come back, but we must be able to return to the premises within 10 minutes (Nobody lives within 10 minutes). It would be monitored and anyone arriving later will have their contracts terminated. In addition, we asked if all the staff leave the premises, what would happen. We were told someone would have to stay and cover. In other words, we all feel they are trying to avoid their legal obligations and have shown no interest in any ideas or other ways that can address this issue. Most of us feel that the company is trying to take advantage of some of our foreign workers who are too afraid to upset the company. This was given verbally and they wanted us to sign that we had a supervision over this issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Recent policy changes on the arrears ( just for info)
          https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...ay-for-workers
          https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._for_final.pdf

The SCCS was launched on 1 November 2017 and will end on 31 March 2019, by
          which time all providers must have shown that they have repaid their arrears relating to
          sleeping time. Nothing in the scheme prevents individual workers taking their own
          legal action (whether in the Employment Tribunal or Court) to recover arrears owing to
          them. They should seek legal advice before doing so.
          So yes, "All arrears [[[ pre July 2017 ]]] will have to be paid by 31 March 2019 at the latest. " ( if they opted in to the scheme )

Changing from Sleep In to 'on call' sounds like, as you say, a way of trying to avoid having to pay the minimum wage correctly - I don't think it would work as it is based on how free you are to live your life while on call ( and having to return within 10 minutes is not living your life - I'm sure I remember a report within 10 minutes case being ruled your way ) Is there also a rule about how many staff are on premises at any one time that would be being broken ?

What appeal are they waiting for ? I can't see that Focus/frudd etc is being appealed further - though wouldn't surprise if it was - ( appeal tribunal https://assets.publishing.service.go...0244_16_DM.pdf )

This one relies on Focus and is quite interesting https://assets.publishing.service.go...0256_16_BA.pdf

( can't find the 10 minutes one, I might be thinking of a New Zealand case as that's all I can find now - unless anyone else can remember it ?)

"This was given verbally and they wanted us to sign that we had a supervision over this issue." - so nothing written ? what did employees sign exactly ?

[MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION]
          Last edited by Amethyst; 28th November 2017, 14:48:PM.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Recent policy changes on the arrears ( just for info)
            https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...ay-for-workers
            https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._for_final.pdf

So yes, "All arrears [[[ pre July 2017 ]]] will have to be paid by 31 March 2019 at the latest. " ( if they opted in to the scheme )

Changing from Sleep In to 'on call' sounds like, as you say, a way of trying to avoid having to pay the minimum wage correctly - I don't think it would work as it is based on how free you are to live your life while on call ( and having to return within 10 minutes is not living your life - I'm sure I remember a report within 10 minutes case being ruled your way ) Is there also a rule about how many staff are on premises at any one time that would be being broken ?

What appeal are they waiting for ? I can't see that Focus/frudd etc is being appealed further - though wouldn't surprise if it was - ( appeal tribunal https://assets.publishing.service.go...0244_16_DM.pdf )

This one relies on Focus and is quite interesting https://assets.publishing.service.go...0256_16_BA.pdf

( can't find the 10 minutes one, I might be thinking of a New Zealand case as that's all I can find now - unless anyone else can remember it ?)

"This was given verbally and they wanted us to sign that we had a supervision over this issue." - so nothing written ? what did employees sign exactly ?

[MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION]
            I may be wrong but Mencap are appealing in March.

At the moment we have one waking tonight who cannot leave their resident. There are 4 sleep ins. One of our residents is non verbal, another two can have behaviours that can challenge. Safely, at least two of the four must stay on the premises.

Comment

I'm not sure if they are actually appealing the ruling, more appealing to government about the back payments - probably hence the extension again - see https://www.mencap.org.uk/get-involv...psleepincrisis

That should not affect things going forward though - only the pre July'17 arrears payments.

This 'can leave the premises'...'must be back in 10 minutes' thing really hasn't been thought through and seems to be a knee jerk reaction - have they brought the new policy in already?

Also you said "We are often up during the night and rarely get any extra." --- are you meant to be paid for individual instances of ''work'' during the sleep-in at all ? or do you mean overtime type extra ?
              Last edited by Amethyst; 28th November 2017, 18:35:PM.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                I'm not sure if they are actually appealing the ruling, more appealing to government about the back payments - probably hence the extension again - see https://www.mencap.org.uk/get-involv...psleepincrisis

That should not affect things going forward though - only the pre July'17 arrears payments.

This 'can leave the premises'...'must be back in 10 minutes' thing really hasn't been thought through and seems to be a knee jerk reaction - have they brought the new policy in already?
                Only through a supervision. Meant to start from the 1st December. No amendment to contract letter yet.

Comment

Originally posted by roygoodbeat View Post
                  Only through a supervision. Meant to start from the 1st December. No amendment to contract letter yet.
                  Hi. Further to my recent posts, there was a notice in the office stating that after consulting with an employment solictor and acas, they have implemented the change. Theyhavenot issued an amendment to our contract, just gone ahead with it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X