• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can a solicitor ignore a request for legal assistance and a complaint?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can a solicitor ignore a request for legal assistance and a complaint?

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
    I suppose it's not too surprising that the firm won't take instructions from you if you've made a complaint about them.

You've said that they're the only firm who could offer a CFA for the case you wish to pursue but are you sure about that?

I see you started another thread about a discrimination issue. It's not my area of knowledge but I would hope there are other firms out there which you could source.

I've looked at the Unite website and can see that they have a panel of solicitors to refer members to, so maybe one of those will be a better match for you than the last one.

https://www.unitelegalservices.org/about-us

Good luck with this.

Is it this issue? >

Di
    Yes, it does seem like victimisation though. It may be they are trying to protect their position in that they feel I may have a professional negligence claim against them. They asked me if I was accusing them of being negligent but I did not answer. I believe I am not compelled to, especially in circumstances where the complaints procedure had not been exhausted.

It was a disability discrimination claim. Whilst there are many firms that engage in CFAs in terms of employment law, it seems to me there are very few that engage in CFAs when pursuing these claims in a County Court. It may be down to the costs risks associated with County Court claims though I am speculating. I spent quite some time looking for other firms but had very little luck.

I feel unable to run my own claim due to health problems. I also don't know the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) very well.

Yes, that is the same issue.

It may be that I rely more in Unite's legal services but their help has been very limited in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by heisenberg View Post
      No. It doesn't seem you are adding anything constructive here but merely using this thread as a platform to undermine me.
      Not at all, but it does seem to me that every law firm you have been involved with has resulted in some form of dispute/complaint/unresolved complaint.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Not at all, but it does seem to me that every law firm you have been involved with has resulted in some form of dispute/complaint/unresolved complaint.

nem
        That's probably because there is no need for me to raise issues (post threads) about law firms where everything was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          it does seem to me that every law firm you have been involved with has resulted in some form of dispute/complaint/unresolved complaint.
          If you look at the Legal Ombudsman statistics for year ending June 2017 you will see that they investigated 2,448 complaints against 1,605 law firms.

These complaints would have been made by clients who didn't resolve their complaints through the firm's internal complaints procedure (i.e. there would have been more complaints made than the 2,448 which were escalated to the LO).

http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/omb...decision-data/

I think the OP makes a valid point that people who receive good service from a solicitor don't subsequently post on internet forums looking for help.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
            If you look at the Legal Ombudsman statistics for year ending June 2017 you will see that they investigated 2,448 complaints against 1,605 law firms.

These complaints would have been made by clients who didn't resolve their complaints through the firm's internal complaints procedure (i.e. there would have been more complaints made than the 2,448 which were escalated to the LO).

http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/omb...decision-data/

I think the OP makes a valid point that people who receive good service from a solicitor don't subsequently post on internet forums looking for help.

Di
            Good to see they are actually issuing/recommending some remedies.
            Last edited by heisenberg; 9th November 2017, 18:15:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heisenberg View Post
              They are the only solicitors who accept instructions by way of a CFA in this area of law.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, some of them are quite unethical.
              Is your comment about being unethical based just on your opinion or are there proven facts?

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post
                Is your comment about being unethical based just on your opinion or are there proven facts?
                What is 'proven' and what is 'factual' is very subjective. Unfortunately, there are many people that act in an unethical manner regardless of profession.

Comment

The Legal Ombudsman has upheld a complaint of mine regarding this firm. They have evidently also failed to comply with the Ombudsman's recommendation for remedy. If this is not unethical then I'm not sure what is.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X