• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

cheques made out to 'executors of...'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheques made out to 'executors of...'

We have probate and just sold the house. Wife and I are both executors.

We're getting refund cheques for bills such as electricity etc made out to 'executors of....'

We did not create an executor account, but are handling the finances with a separate account in our name at Halifax bank.

How do we cash or deposit such cheques - I've been told banks won't accept executor cheques unless there's an actual executor account, but also been told that utility companies are loathe to reissue the cheque in the executors name ?
    Tags: None

Re: cheques made out to 'executors of...'

The obvious answer is to create an exexcutor a/c at Halifax.

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
      Seems a lot of effort for a couple hundred pounds !

Comment

Have you asked the bank directly and taken in some proof that you are the executors?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          Have you asked the bank directly and taken in some proof that you are the executors?
          We'll obviously need to give that a try and hope that the person who told us otherwise is wrong.. Halifax do seem to have different answers to the same question, depending on who you ask. Their phone customer service seems to consist of interminable menus ending up with a 20 minute wait..

When we opened a joint savings account to hold the money from the house sale (unfortunately in our names, not as 'executors of...'), they gave us the third degree - more of a grilling than when we opened our bank account.

We'll let you know what they say to us..

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
            ]

Seems very simple!

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post
              ]

Seems very simple!
              Well we went into Halifax this morning. They weren't helpful.
              The only way, they say, is to make an appointment to see the manager in order to open an executor account, into which we can deposit the cheque, which we'll immediately transfer to our own account and then probably close the executor account !

Crazy..

Luckily the issuers of the current cheque will re-issue in our names (thank you Wessex Water) and Lloyds bank insurance will issue a refund by giro credit to our normal account.
              Hope there's no more.

Comment

Hi Twiggy,
                Generally I'd always go back to the cheque issuer and ask them to amend the payee name. As long as you as executors are keeping accurate records then the payments and receipts will be clearly evidenced when the estate accounts are produced.
                Glad the utilities were helpful.
                I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X