• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SIP Parking Fine / Faulty Pay Station

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIP Parking Fine / Faulty Pay Station

Hi everyone, first time poster in need of some good advice!

My niece received a 'claim form' from Northampton County Court Business Centre over unpaid parking fines from 28th November 2016.
    Gladstone Brooks have raised the claim and the parking company is called SIP.
    The thing is on the night in question the meter was not working, my niece did approach the pay station to make payment and thus was able to take the attached photo.

She has written/phoned SIP Parking & Gladstone Brookes and explained this already many times but they have still escalated this to the courts. Their view is my niece should have phoned the company to report the fault at the time.
    This is nonsense, its' a back street city centre car park at night and she urgently needed to get somewhere. She is not going to be hanging about a precarious part of Manchester to do their job for them because a timely cash payment cannot be made due to SIPs faulty equipment.
    I have attached the signage from outside the car park, nowhere does it say “if there is a fault and you only have cash please make sure you call us”.

My gut feeling is that she should not have to pay a fine but I know these things can get tricky.
    I would really appreciate some advice as to what to do next here as I don’t want to make the wrong move with the courts.

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Files
    Last edited by P4blit0; 20th October 2017, 14:11:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: SIP Parking Fine / Faulty Pay Station

Are you sure GB are involved?
    Far as I know they are a claims management co.

Welcome to LB, btw.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Are you sure GB are involved?
      Far as I know they are a claims management co.

Welcome to LB, btw.
      Thank you charitynjw

Pretty sure its GB.
      The correspondance address on the claim form is "Gladstones Solicitors Ltd, WA16...."

Comment

Different firm.

It's 'Gladstones Solicitors'.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I don't open zip files, could you put it into PDF or jpg?

Comment

Thank you all,
            I have attached all the details I have, pdf or jpg format.

Apologies, these are Gladstones Solicitors Limited not GB. My bad!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by P4blit0; 20th October 2017, 12:48:PM.

Comment

We would need to see pictures of the site signage which give terms/conditions.
              Plus the Notice to Keeper (Front & rear, obscure personal details, but leave dates visible.

Was a windscreen PCN issued?
              If so a pic of that as well.

Has the driver (at the relevant time) been ID'd?

& it's probably wise to obscure the court claim no on your posted docs.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

No PCN, just a fine around April 2017 and then this latest court claim.
                The driver has in part been identified. My niece contacted SIP earlier this year to explain she could not pay the meter due to it being broken.
                After reading through some of the posts here I see this is a rookie mistake

Comment

ID'd via phone call, or was it in writing?
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

ID'd via phone call, or was it in writing?

Apolgies again charitynjw, there was indeed a parking ticket on her car when she returned.
                    I didnt spot this as they have sent the details in a horrible format, I am attaching this.
                    ID'd writing I am sad to say again via the attached appeal.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is there any more to the appeal rejection?
                      Have they given information re an independent appeals service?
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Is there any more to the appeal rejection?
                        Have they given information re an independent appeals service?

This is it, after the fine and this appeal it was handed to the solicitors who have been chasing for payment. The very last communication was the court claim.

Comment

Was there a formal letter before claim/action & if so when was it sent?
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Was there a formal letter before claim/action & if so when was it sent?

There was a formal letter from the solicitors around April this year, tried searching for this but it has been misplaced.
                            I think my niece may have thrown it away seeing as she heard nothing from either party for six months.

Just to recap:

£50 parking ticket left on windscreen on Nov 28th 2016.
                            Shortly after a letter was sent from SIP parking saying it would be reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days.
                            My niece appealed it at the time as the machine wasn’t working but was still told by SIP she had to pay.
                            Letter from Gladstone’s solicitors around April chasing payment.
                            Then finally this court claim on the 16th October requesting a total of £245.11

Comment

Has the court claim been acknowledged?
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X