• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VCS reduced settlement charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCS reduced settlement charge

I pay a monthly fee for an underground car park space on land owned by an apartment building development company. I have a tax disk style parking permit issued by VCS. The contract for this can be seen here.

The car park is patrolled by VCS.

I came down this afternoon to find a myparkingcharge notification saying to log into their portal to view evidence of a parking T&C contravention.

I looked over at my car park permit to find it upside down, when I was driving home yesterday with the windows open it must have shifted around and landed face down.

In the 'evidence' photographs taken by the so called parking 'agent' you can see the disk. Upside down but it is obvious what it is. I have parked there for 7 months, surely he recognises my car and will have seen the disk countless times before.

I righted the disk and phoned VCS who advised to lodge an appeal. I looked into that but upon seeing the form that requests personal details and the requirement to check a checkbox that says "I accept these facts as they are presented" or something similar - there is absolutely no bloody way am I doing that and providing them with that information or checking that box.

I pay for a valid parking permit. I'm not a paying £60 'fine' (private company issuing a fine, yeah ok) for 1) the ramifications of gravity and 2) because some **** has spotted an opportunity to extort some commission.

I spoke to the landowners, the company I rent the apartment from who agreed with my point of view and said they'd contact VCS and get this ridiculous charge squashed.

They have done so however I heard back saying that there is a remaining 'reduced settlement charge' of £20.

I phoned VCS who said if I refused to pay they would pass the matter onto a debt collection agency.

I know all about Simon Renshaw-Smith. I will not be one of his victims.

Seeking your advice and experience.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.
    Last edited by absolutelynochance; 19th October 2017, 17:55:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: VCS reduced settlement charge

Does the landowner instruct the VCS to manage the car park?

On the face of it, you have a contract directly with the landowner to rent out the parking space and therefore although the car park is managed by VCS they would not seem to have any right to recover charges from you for breach of your contract, effectively interfering with it. The parking contract on the link suggests a 'fine' but only fines can't be enforce as it can only be handed out by local authorities, police etc. rather it should say a 'charge'. It also does not say what the amount will be so its a bit ambiguous and uncertain and on top of that the contract doesn't incorporate what presumably are the VCS signage in the car park (if there is any).

However, that's my high level view of things. Perhaps @charitynjw, might be able to add more to this.

Also depends on whether the landowner you refer to actually owns the free hold or is leased. if leased, what does the lease say?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b,

Thanks for your help.

Please find screenshots below of all relevant contracts/documentation.

I agree with your interpretation of the events and look forward to any help forthcoming from charitynjw.

The parking permit was, after signing the above parking contract with the landlord, presented to me enclosed with the following document from VCS.

1) I did not sign this document, nor have ever explicitly agreed to accept its stipulations
      2) I did not agree at any stage to explicitly enter into a contract with VCS
      3) The first I knew of any association with VCS is when I opened an envelope to find this letter with permit disc attached

Comment

This would seem to me to be similar to 'fluttering parking tickets' (Google it & you'll find plenty of info)
        Perhaps you could use this, adapting it as necessary -
        https://bmpa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...et-Robodefence
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X