• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to read a water meter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to read a water meter.

Another frequently asked question for a call centre agent.

If you are unsure if you have a meter than call your provider. They can tell you definitively yes or no and where it is.

YOU WILL NEED:
    Blunt knife/flat headed screwdriver/paint pot opening tool.
    Rubber gloves (if outside, they can get mucky and gungy).
    Disposable plastic cup/old manky cup you never use/kids beach toy you don't mind chucking out

Using the utensil of choice prise the lid off your meter pit like you are opening a paint pot. there will be a white meter inside it. you will see a series of dials like a gas meter, the agent will only need the black numbers. You may see a little arrow darting about, don't worry about that it's a pressure gauge it's meant to do that!

If you are ever asked to do a leak test, you will need to turn your water off at the Internal Stop Valve, wait about 20 mins and check to see if the dials are moving, again if you see the little arrow moving, don't panic it's meant to do that.

FAQs

There's water in the pit, do I have a leak?
    In all honesty, probably not, in 99.99999999999% of cases this is simply rainwater which has gathered in the pit and will not affect your meter. Hence my suggesting a plastic cup.

I can't get to my meter, can someone do it for me?
    Yes, just say you can't access it and an engineer can come out for you

Some idiot has paved/built/put a driveway over my meter. Help!
    Contact your supplier, sometimes they will fit a new one, this is at your provider's discretion

PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)
    Tags: None

Re: How to read a water meter.

Ours is buried at the front of the house, being a unadopted road it soon gets covered up again, even the meter reader has to find it with a metal detector!
    Had new neighbours recently, turns out the meters are also next-door to each other!
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X