• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help sewer gas leak under my house not my pipe and I can't stop it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help sewer gas leak under my house not my pipe and I can't stop it

1. There are two utility pipes buried beneath my semi detached property, under my entrance hall foundations and front garden. One is for mains water the other is a sewer pipe. Neither of these pipes connect to my property in any way they are solely for the benefit of the property next door to me.
    Please do not forget that these pipes have nothing to do with property in any way whatsoever.
    2. There are easements in place for the pipes
    3. Both or one of these pipes are leaking deep underground and affecting my property and health. There is obviously a very small leak from maybe a hairline fracture or bad connection, ground movement, at some point along either of these pipes.
    4. What would be my reasons for suspecting that these pipes are defective and not fit for purpose?
    a) Strong sewer gas odor that wafts around inside my property mainly with my neighbours are using any of their plumbing. N.B. I know for a fact that the neighbours can't smell sewer gas, for the simple fact that their sewer does not disturb their land.
    b) There is excess moisture which is evident on the land to the front of my property which has thick green lush foliage growing directly above both the water and sewer lines.
    c) My entrance hall, situated at the front of my house has the water and sewer pipes buried underneath it. I have a dehumidifier placed directly above the path of both pipes. It is on constantly 24/7 and from inside this porch area its collecting 10 litres of water every two days without fail no matter what the weather is hot or cold summer or winter.
    5) This problem has been going on for a long time. It has taken a long time, by a process of elimination to pinpoint where these problems stem from.
    6) My property clearly hasn't subsided yet and the leak has not opened up enough to cascade torrents of water about the property.
    7) These problems that I have endeavoured to get to the bottom of require that I find a way of getting this awful problem fixed, yet I am up against some big hurdles. I have trace & access cover on my house insurance. I can't get them to come and have a look and trace and access the health nuisance because they want evidence that it's causing damage and because there is not a massive amount of damage that's clearly visible to them it seems it does not satisfy my request in any way. How on earth am I supposed to prove the noxcious smell of sewer gas vapour? More than anything this is the first problem that I must get sorted as a matter of urgency. How can anybody possibly be expected to live in conditions with the stench of foul sewer gas wafting around inside their home? I have been to Environmental Health, South West Water a number of times only to be sent back and forth. It's like banging my head against a brick wall no one, absolutely no one, is taking any notice of my situation, therefore I find I can not get guidance, help or any advise. If it was something that I had the ability to do myself I would be doing it, no matter what.
    8) I cannot for the life of me understand what the authorities do not understand and why they will not help me in some way? Is my only choice to take a pickaxe and dig and excavate the ground myself to find the problem so that these people will listen to what I'm saying. If yes, then I'm starting immediately. I'm at a loss, I despair. I really don't know what my options are. Any input, advice, knowledge, anything that anyone can add? I'm very grateful and thank you in anticipation for any help.
    9) Quick update I had a phone call from the complaints department of Southwest Water this afternoon. They categorically state that the sewer pipe that runs under my property to my neighbours is not their responsibility in any way shape or form. Apparently that has to do with environmental health. I'm not prepared to go on this merry-go-round again.

**Just uploaded a diagram from south west water that I have altered to best resemble where the water pipes are. 17 represents my house, the front entrance hall was constructed at the same time as the rest of the house and is NOT an extension.
    This is exactly how these properties where initally constructed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mylor13; 17th October 2017, 15:48:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Please help sewer gas leak under my house not my pipe and I can't stop it

My belief is once a sewer pipe leaves a property, or it is a communal section, then the water company is responsible for that pipe. Here's a little diagram that helps. So if that sewer is in use by your neighbour then it is up to the water company to investigate.

Comment

Re: Please help sewer gas leak under my house not my pipe and I can't stop it

Could this help?
      https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nder-section-9
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X