• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Live-in carer, effect on benefits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live-in carer, effect on benefits?

Hi,

I am disabled person receiving enhanced rate daily living and motobility components of PIP, housing benefit and ESA. A friend I have known for many years stays over with me often and assists with care and daily tasks.

I received a "Council Tax - Single Persons Discount Review" letter from a company called CapacityGrid, stating that unless I respond within 21 days I will lose my single person discount for Council Tax.

As my friend who cares for me is unpaid by me, we did not think we needed to declare that they often stay with me, but it appears they may have become linked to the property as their mobile phone bill comes here. After reading a post on this web site, I learned that live-in carers are treated as exempt with regard to Council Tax Single Person Discount, but will any of my other benefits be effected if we declare my carer as living with me?

My carer is happy to provide care for free and I am happy to provide accommodation for them in return, but can they contribute towards a share of household bills (Gas, Electric etc.) without it effecting my benefits?

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.
    Last edited by BlueMoon; 16th October 2017, 09:47:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Live-in carer, effect on benefits?

Further to my above post, I have asked the DWP for advice and they said that if my friend did stay with me to care for me I would lose "Severe Disability Premium (SDP)" (£62 per week) as I would no longer "be living alone". This seems very unfair when my friend would be caring for me without being paid.

Would their presence also affect my housing benefit even though they would not be paying me any rent?

The information I can find online is very confusing. It says here (https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/se...bility-premium) that I am only entitled to SDP if:
    • "you have no non-dependant adults living with you (unless they are also receiving a qualifying disability benefit or are registered blind)."

But, under the "Non-dependant rules" the link says:

"Exemptions from a deduction / contribution due to your circumstances

If you or your partner are registered blind or claiming Disability Living Allowance care component (for Universal Credit it must be the middle or higher rate), Personal Independance Payment daily living component or Attendance Allowance then a non-dependant deduction or housing cost contribution will not be taken from your benefits regardless of your non-dependant's circumstances."

Is anyone able to explain what and how my benefits would be effected if my carer lived with me?
    Last edited by BlueMoon; 16th October 2017, 12:27:PM.

Comment

Re: Live-in carer, effect on benefits?

A lot of people have "live in carers" but these carers are usually employed by an agency to provide the care.

In order for your carer not to affect your claim, he/she:

1. Must have a main residence somewhere else.
      2. Must not be linked to your property through any finances/benefits they claim or you risk an investigation for Living Together

Something in your "friend's" finances, has triggered the National Fraud Initiative. In other words, DWP have become aware that they are linked to your property (claiming Carer's allowance from the property or having their bills/bank account registered to your address, being registered on the voter's roll at your address). DWP will then have notified CTax that there is more than one person resident in the property and Single Person's Discount in pay. CTax will have checked Experian and also the voter's roll and this is why you have the CTax review.

People who receive Severe Disability Premium in their benefits do so because no-one else is caring for them.

Does your carer have his/her own residence (rented/owned). If they do, then:

1. You can prove to CTax that you are not co-habiting as your friend would have their own rent and CTax responsibility
      2. As you receive PIP DL Enhanced, you should be able to claim a "spare room for a carer". (you will not however be able to do this if you are in a 1 bed property and and do not have a spare room - this would also hamper proving that you are not co-habiting)
      3. You would still be entitled to Severe Disability Premium.
      4. You would also be entitled to Single Person's Discount

If your friend does not have their own residence and stays with you, providing care in return for board and lodging then:

1 They must be added to your HBen claim either as a partner; a non-dependant or a lodger
      2. You will lose your single person's discount
      3. Their income is counted on your claim and may also affect your income received from DWP and
      4. If they also provide care for you, receive Carers Allowance or have an Underlying Entitlement to it, they will still be treated as though they are receiving CA and you will lose your Severe Disability Premium
      5. Irrespective of whether they are a "live in carer/partner/non-dependant/lodger", you will lose your Single Person's Discount as they will be liable for CTax at your property. SPD is just that - it is for single people who live on their own all the time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X