• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council parking penalty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council parking penalty

Hi there

I have recently been fined for parking on a hard standing, this is over 50ft from the road which is double yellows. I had been parking there for 7/8 years as had been told it was university land.
    The council claim, "Your vehicle was parked in contravention of the double yellow lines restriction. While I note that the pavement is wide enough to park a vehicle on, other areas in the city are not of a similar size. Parking on the pavement is obstructive and inconvenient."
    "While I note that you have parked there since 2009 without incurring a Penalty Charge Notice. Whilst I note this information, it bears no relevance to the fact that your vehicle was in breach of a parking regulation, and I can only suggest at the time of parking on previous occasions, officers were not patrolling the area in question. Civil Enforcement Officers work different shifts and are assigned to different beats and as such are not able to patrol every road, every day.
    You also state that other vehicles were parked in front of the building without incurring a Penalty Charge Notice and have provided photograph evidence in respect of this. Having viewed your photographs of the other vehicles they are only showing the rear therefore it cannot be clarified whether they have been issued with a Penalty Charge or not. Irrespective of this I am unable to confirm any information regarding the issue of Penalty Charge Notices to other vehicles, but can state that Civil Enforcement Officers are trained to issue a Charge to any vehicle breaching restrictions."
    My issue being;
    1. That there are vehicles parked there daily, these are the same vehicles and are not ticketed.
    2. Being parked in a corner alcove with a 20ft space to the side for so called pedestrians/vehicles.
    3. This also being 70ft from a road.
    4. Daily, observe wardens walk past not ticketing other vehicles.
    My feeling is that, if it is a so called 'violation of the highway code' then all vehicles should be ticketed.
    I feel discriminated that the council are searching for any legal spill to prevent parking, with random tickets being issued.
    Is this something I can appeal or due to it being council I have to accept?
    Any advice/information would be most appreciated.
    Appologies if there was already a thread for this, due to learning difficulties I am unable to find the information.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Council parking penalty

I would like to add, if I am completely in the wrong then I will happily pay the fine, but it seems like they have manufactured a reason to stop people parking in that area.

Thank you

Comment

Hi Big Jay

For these types of cases, have you tried PePiPoo?
      http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=24
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

It might be better if we can see a picture.

In practice Double Yellow Lines apply to the carriageway, pavement & verge (no matter how wide).

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-FASCISTS.html
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Images taken by attendant with time/date.
            Red outline in plan view is van, blue outline other vehicles.
            Attached Files

Comment

Street view images from 2014 to 2016.
              Taken from Anglesea Rd and front of King Henry building.
              Attached Files

Comment

I would guess it is as I said previously although it may be worth asking the Uni for their take on it.

Comment

These are images of the area at the time.
                  Also showing other cars parked in the area (blue outline in map image).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ploddertom
                    Thank you for responding.
                    Does it make any difference if it is university property?
                    I have tried Pepipoo, couldn't even navigate around the website, and couldn't post anything. Even trying to contact them is ridiculously complicated..'frustrating'

Comment

So is the land where the vn was parked the property of the university or is it council adopted?

Comment

Not trying to be argumentative but it appears to me there is a designated parking area. The DYL cover the rest of the "plot" on the basis they include all areas up to where a building resides. It may pay to check the Traffic Management Order to see what was included when it was originally set up - these are usually held by the local Council. Have you also asked the Uni for their opinion?

Comment

This link re a Freedom of Information request may be of interest.
                          It would appear that if there is a clear physical delineation between the highway & the area in question, you may have an argument.
                          Not conclusive, but worth a try?
                          https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._parking_enfor
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

This may also assist
                            https://publications.parliament.uk/p...2/clarke01.htm
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi there
                              My thinking being that the bollards at the front of the area signal a boundary (determining the end of the highway).
                              And the kerb levels on the rear side of the building being pedestrianised (from Anglesea Road).

I have attached some images of the other side of the building.

After reading through the reports that you guys have suggested, it seems that it's a game of who can bamboozle who with the most legal jargon.
                              My fear in regards to this, is that you can be fined/prosecuted for something you have no knowledge of, and unless you are highly academic you have to just accept it. Unfortunately for me I have Aspergers and have a complete lack of understanding of this type of thing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X