• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mobile Phone Caps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mobile Phone Caps

Originally posted by Worried2014 View Post
    It said:
    Capping
    Your new capping feature puts a cap on your monthly spend, helping you to avoid nasty surprises. This means if you use all of your minutes, texts or data, you won't be able to spend anything over your cap.

We've set your cap at your credit limit. It'll kick in when your billing period refreshes for the first time after 15 June 2017. You can lower this to as little as £5.
    To change your cap, simply log in to your ap
    GOT EM!!!!!!! there is no mention of a £75 cap being added!!!
    Ofcom state all billing must be transparent and non misleading. This doesn't show any figures.. what are you Mystic Meg??? Your first defence.. How do you know what the cap is if they don't bleedin well tell you?? GOT EM!!!!!

So they set it high when everything refreshed on or just after 15th June but I set the cap in July.

Today they said
    Thanks for your recent email.

I took a detailed look at your account and can confirm that a Cap was placed on your account on the 18/07/2017, the Cap

was placed via the account MDS: Mobile App Webservice and was not a permanent Cap, it reverted back to the £75 when your

allowances refreshed.

A permanent marker has been now placed on the £5 Cap.

The extra charges generated on your account was £74.99 and you were charged for exceeding your Data usage.

Once you go over your monthly data allowance, you get charged 10p for each MB of data that you use (as a guide, you’ll use 1MB looking at a webpage).

Several Notifications was sent out advising you that you have reached your limit please see below.

27351785 You've now used 80% of your data allowance. You can buy add-ons and keep an eye on what you're using.... Sat Aug 26 18:26:27 GMT 2017 Sat Aug 26 18:26:27 GMT 2017 Realtime Sent

27353312 You've now used 100% of your data allowance. You'll now be charged £10.24 for every 100mb of UK data.... Sat Aug 26 19:10:30 GMT 2017 Sat Aug 26 19:10:30 GMT 2017 Realtime Sent

You can keep an eye on your available allowances at any time using the iD Mobile app or My Online account

But I was never told or received any info saying it was not a permanent cap until today's email.
    GOT EM!!!!

Oh I love it when a plan comes together!!

Defence 1: There is no clear and transparent information about the amount of the original cap.
    Defence 2: There was no mention of renewing the cap, nor are there in the T&Cs of the contract. How can you comply with T&Cs if said T&C doesn't bleedin' exist!
    Defence 3: OFCOM ruled that all interaction with a mobile phone provider and their customer must be CLEAR AND TRANSPARENT. Any "hidden" clauses can basically drop them in more sewerage than by Gatwick Airport!!! I'm talking fines and operating restrictions. I believe the French for this situation is Merde??? I think new underpants will be on order once they realise Mama knows what she's talking about!

Give them a courtesy call and say you are thinking of going directly to OFCOM about their unfair practices. Tell them you know that your son got the texts but you disregarded them as there is NOTHING ANYWHERE to state the cap does not Auto renew and that you believe this to be a computer glitch.

How did you take the contract out love? Instore? Over the phone? Why did they not set the cap up automatically?
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Just to add, this has been an absolute pleasure to help on.

If you haven't guessed, I worked in the industry for a good 9 years and have been a customer service agent of one form or another (face to face and call centre) since I was 17. If I say I have a 14 year old daughter you can appreciate it's been a good few years. Any one who's seen the VIP chatbox will have seen my little rant about this, it REALLY bakes my brain that companies can give such thoroughly CRAPPY service!!

I am at a loss as to why they didn't look and use some bleedin' initiative when things like this happen. It's not hard, something went wrong FIX IT!!

Just so you know, there are people out there.. Lee who was tagged with me being one, who actually give one (we both would go on the record as giving 2!) and in most companies there are people who feel the same way!
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

I've got 2 phones on O2 (I know, Iknow !!) and both of these had a £5 cap set when the SIMS were received and they are both still showing a £5 cap.

Comment

Nowt wrong with O2 (aka the old Boss)

Comment

I brought the phone/plan online. No original cap (as far as I know) and then these texts/emails in June to say we can now set a cap

Anyway thank you....I will call them tomorrow (actually I prefer the email route as it gives me the paper trail....is a call better?) and tell them I'm considering going straight to ofcom because of their lack of transparency etc.

Comment

What I would suggest is, when you have finished the call ask for the following:

A call reference or I.D
              The agent's name (DON'T expect the surname - you would be amazed how many people in call centres get Facebook/Twitter abuse after giving out surnames, or locations people have been known to turn up on the doorstep) you might get "The Tyneside office" or "West Country office" this will tie them down more, some agents will give out an ID for themselves but again that is down to the operator. Their notes will show who and where they are.
              Ask if possible for the answer to be emailled too for clarity..

IF THEY GIVE A 48-72 HOUR TIMESCALE: this is right and is for the agent's personal safety, certain outsourcing agencies give the agent a company email address so instead of "marya@thephonecompany.co.uk" you get "MaryAndrewsSouthhampton@theoutsourcers,co.uk" which can mean idiots turning up. They will send this off to a back office to send it via a generic email address.

Comment

Originally posted by slainte caragh View Post
                What I would suggest is, when you have finished the call ask for the following:

A call reference or I.D
                The agent's name (DON'T expect the surname - you would be amazed how many people in call centres get Facebook/Twitter abuse after giving out surnames, or locations people have been known to turn up on the doorstep) you might get "The Tyneside office" or "West Country office" this will tie them down more, some agents will give out an ID for themselves but again that is down to the operator. Their notes will show who and where they are.
                Ask if possible for the answer to be emailled too for clarity..

IF THEY GIVE A 48-72 HOUR TIMESCALE: this is right and is for the agent's personal safety, certain outsourcing agencies give the agent a company email address so instead of "marya@thephonecompany.co.uk" you get "MaryAndrewsSouthhampton@theoutsourcers,co.uk" which can mean idiots turning up. They will send this off to a back office to send it via a generic email address.
                Thanks. I'll let you know what response I get tomorrow 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Worried2014 View Post
                  Thanks. I'll let you know what response I get tomorrow ��
                  OK, spoke to someone and she tried to just repeat what the email said about the temporary cap and the texts etc. I just repeated OFCOM, no clear and transparent information surrounding the caps being temporary or that they will be set so high etc. etc. and nothing in their Ts&Cs

It has now been passed to finance to review it....as it is the first time I've had such a high bill...poor old me

I have received a text confirming they are investigating my issue and they will reply in 72hrs....and I did say if I didn't hear from them in that time I will go straight to OFCOM

Thanks again for your help...I'll let you know the outcome soon

Comment

thats the way it's done!

even if it doesn't come back in your favour, you have the T&Cs of the contract in your favour.. and the wording of that text. At no point were you informed the cap was £75!

Keep pushing, they may say you can't go straight to OFCOM, you have to give them 8 weeks or get a deadlock letter, in the meantime offer to pay the normal rate (plus the cap you added as goodwill from you) and keep escalating.

Comment

He just received a text saying they had credited the account...they kept the £5 for the cap of course but I'm glad we got the £69.99 back. Of course I had to call to actually get them to give me a refund and not just credit on the account.

It now has a permanent £5 cap and I can cope with those little overspends ��

Thank you so much for your help....you truly are a great.

Worried2014

Comment

wonderful!

Glad to have been of service

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X