• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EDF Threatening court action from 2011!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF Threatening court action from 2011!

Hello all

I've received a letter today from EDF threatening me with legal action for £70 from 2011 = they sent the final bill on 21/11/11. I was with Southern Electric all of 2011 so Im slightly confused??? Is this a scam??
    Tags: None

Re: EDF Threatening court action from 2011!

I wouldn't have thought it is a scam, if you didn't settle the final bill then it seems they are clearing up aged debtors list. Six years from when ever you made your last payment is the deadline for them to take court action, so it's a fair assumption that's the reason you've popped up to be contacted.

Is it possible you forgot to pay the final bill? Did you make the last payment to them in October 2011?

You could send a response to the letter telling them you don't recognise the debt and asking for them to provide statements etc. this will then allow you to asses your position fully. (plus might buy the required time for the debt to become statute barred)
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I wasnt with EDF at all though?? Unless edf and southern are one and the same? I was with southern all 2011 and 2012. This is my confusion!

Comment

Ah okay, apologies I go the wrong end of the stick. I don't think EDF and Southern are the same. You could have a look on your credit file for free at Noodle. See if anything is on there for either EDF or Southern?

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

A quick google confirms Southern have become SSE and EDF are an amalgamation of a load of small firms, none of which are Southern. Therefore they are completely separate.

I would write to them and say you don't recognise the debt, please provide statements, bills etc to allow you to figure out what has gone on.

Comment

Thats OK! looking at my bank statements (quiet afternoon at work) I was with southern til 2015 so I'm not sure that they cant be the same as they would have amended my direct debit to cover any outstanding bills. Just very odd!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all your help - I'll do that now

Comment

Write back to the utility company and ask them for details.

If you really were a customer then check whether they had read your meter or made any errors etc in case the Ofgem Back-Billing Code applies. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/h...ng-your-rights

If you make a complaint and don't get the resolution you're seeking then you can refer it to the Ombudsman Services - Energy. This is how you can do that > https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X