• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell soliciters . . . !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell soliciters . . . !

Bump . . . Anyone?

Comment

Hi
      They will should need to prove the assignment if you plead that

Comment

Hi Warwick,

Thanks for the reply,
        Is a copy of the notice of assignment of the alleged debt all that they need to prove I owe the debt if this goes to court?
        I was assuming to prove I owe this alleged debt they would need a signed copy of the contract or possibly a statement from Three showing payments coming from my bank account (with verifiable details I.e. my account number, sort code etc.) for this mobile phone.

Kind Regards,
        Grs

Comment

HI
          If you ask for it and the judge agrees with you they may need to show the deed of assignment

As for the other points you made , yes they may be accepted by the judge as good a good defence , of course they may well be able to provide a statement of account and it may be down to you to prove on balance they did not come from your account.

Comment

Hi Warwick,

I stupidly assumed they would have to prove without doubt that the debt belongs to me. I received a letter back from Lowell solicitors and there was nothing officially from Three just what looks like reconstituted information put together by themselves,

I'm typing a letter up to accompany the letter before action reply.

Kind regards,
            Grs

Comment

Something you need to remember

In the civil court the standard of proof is on the balance of probabilities i.e. it is more likely than not . In criminal court the standard of proof is much higher in that it is beyond reasonable doubt

So for example If they can show the payments came out of a bank account with your name that may prove the debt - especially if you didn't query them . Equally if they can show a process for setting up an account that had due diligence in gaining proof of identity and address . There is sadly also the case of a judges lottery- not all of them know a great deal about consumer law. I know you would expect them to know it but I am afraid they do not , particularly in small claims in smaller courts

I know it is not relevant to you but I was told recently of a case where a judge said about default notices and I paraphrase ,in this day and age full records and copies aren't kept we just need to know one was sent- clearly to him it didn't matter if it was in the prescribed form with the right info on it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X