• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell soliciters . . . !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell soliciters . . . !

Hello everyone,
    Long time lurker new member here.
    I wonder if anyone can help me with some advice re Lowell solicitors.

Thank you in advance to anyone who manages to get to the end of my post as I've a feeling this could be quite long. . .

I am being chased for an outstanding debt of several hundred pounds allegedly owed to Three mobile.
    I say allegedly as I dispute this debt.
    After months of gradually more threatening letters from Lowell all went quite for a couple of months and then I received a letter from Lowell solicitors a few weeks back.

I decided enough was enough and sent them recorded delivery a "prove it" letter not a CCA request as this is a mobile phone debt, the letter was confirmed delivered and signed for a couple of days after sending.

In the prove it letter I included a few things such as:

I am familiar with the Consumer Credit sourcebook of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) which states the following rules.

"A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid." 7.5.3

"A firm must suspend any steps it takes or its agent takes in the recovery of a debt from a customer where the customer disputes the debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds." 7.14.1

"Where a customer disputes a debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds, the firm must investigate the dispute and provide details of the debt to the customer in a timely manner." 7.14.3

"Where there is a dispute as to the identity of the borrower or hirer or as to the amount of the debt, it is for the firm (and not the customer) to establish, as the case may be, that the customer is the correct person in relation to the debt or that the amount is the correct amount owed under the agreement." 7.14.4

"A firm must provide a customer with information on the outcome of its investigations into a debt which the customer disputed on valid grounds." 7.14.5

"Where a customer disputes a debt and the firm seeking to recover the debt is not the lender or the owner, the firm must:
    (1) pass the information provided by the customer to the lender or the owner; or
    (2) if the firm has authority from the lender or owner to investigate a dispute, it must notify the lender or owner of the outcome of the investigation." 7.14.6

Around a week after that I received a letter of claim instructing me to fill out the enclosed form and return it also included was the claim that they had already supplied me with notice of assignment.

The letter of claim is dated the same day I know they received my prove it letter.

I was under the assumption that Lowell solicitors had to prove the debt belonged to me and inform me of the outcome of their investigation to my claim that I do not owe the debt.

Can anyone give any advice as to what my next step is?

Kind regards,
    Grs
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell soliciters . . . !

Hello Grs, welcome to LB.

Which company of the Lowell Group is Lowell sols acting for?

What are your grounds for disputing the debt?

Please post u a copy of the letter your have received after removing your personal data, If you have a problem I'm sure [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] will be able to help.

nem

Just for info Lowell solicitors have shown on a number of occasions that they are incompetent.

Comment

Hi nem,
      Thanks for the reply,
      Lowell solicitors are acting on behalf of Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd, who were/are chasing a debt for a Three mobile account.

I am disputing the debt as at one time many years ago I had two contract phones on Three. Three raised the price of the contracts mid way through the contract term and I telephoned them to inform them that I have 30 days to “get out” due to them breaking contract, I know this was my right but Three refused my request to terminate one of the contracts and return the phone to them.
      As the direct debits for both phones were on different dates I cancelled one of them and didn't hear anything else from three for a couple of years until I got a letter saying I still owed them several hundred pounds, my attitude was F*** off and I did not reply.
      Around a year after that once well out of contract with the other handset I gave them the required notice to terminate the second handset and change it over to pay as you go which they did.

Since then I ve been bothered by Lowell every few weeks until this last month when it seems to have escalated.

Given the above and the fact I have zero proof (recorded telephone call to Three, Lack of paperwork for that time etc.) of the events I plan on refusing any knowledge of the debt.

I shall try to scan and redact the letter now,
      thanks
      Grs

Comment

Just some additional info the default date on my credit file for this is late 2012 which is why they might be getting tougher as its only a year off statute barred.

Comment

Re: Lowell solicitors . . . !

Redacted letter, not including expense form etc, page 1

Page 2

postimage org browse

Comment

Originally posted by Grs View Post
            Around a week after that I received a letter of claim instructing me to fill out the enclosed form and return it also included was the claim that they had already supplied me with notice of assignment.
            The letter of claim is dated the same day I know they received my prove it letter.

I was under the assumption that Lowell solicitors had to prove the debt belonged to me and inform me of the outcome of their investigation to my claim that I do not owe the debt.
            What is the date of the Letter before Claim?

Is it before of after 1st October 2017?

Di

Comment

Hi Diana,
              The date is after October 1st, it is dated the same date that I know Lowell solicitors received my "prove it" letter.
              Thanks,
              Grs

Comment

Hi Diana,
                The date is after October 1st
                In which case read this forum thread here > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...l=1#post756161

Di

Comment

Hi Diana,
                  Thank you, I've had a read through that post but don't see what the relevance is. Apologies as I'm not very legal minded
                  Do you mean I should use the form to request additional documentation from them?

I thought by disputing the debt with the prove it letter that I was asking them to provide proof I owe it. As in:

"A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid." 7.5.3

"Where a customer disputes a debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds, the firm must investigate the dispute and provide details of the debt to the customer in a timely manner." 7.14.3

But they have ignored my dispute and sent the letter of claim anyway.

I suspect that the letter of claim was sent immediately after opening my prove it letter given the date on the letter of claim is the same date they received my letter.

Thanks,
                  Grs

Comment

I suppose the best way to describe it is treat the Letter Before Claim as the start of a new 'process' regardless of what has been before.

Here's a good explanation of how to manage the situation from @Debt Camel 's website. It's in Plain English too

Link > https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/

Di

Comment

Hi Diana,
                      Thank you, that link does explain it rather well in simple terms.
                      Is it worth threatening Lowell solicitors with reporting them to the financial ombudsman and information commissioner office for failing to investigate my claim that I don't recognise the debt?

Thanks
                      Grs

Comment

Hi Diana,
                        Thank you
                        , that link does explain it rather well in simple terms.
                        Is it worth threatening Lowell solicitors with reporting them to the financial ombudsman and information commissioner office for failing to investigate my claim that I don't recognise the debt?
                        You're welcome

I'm all for simplification .

I'm also (personally) against confrontation when it's not needed.

If you threaten a solicitor with anything then expect them to issue a claim against you PDQ in response.

Di

Comment

Hi
                          Remember your letter may have been received on say 1st Oct but it can take a few days to be opened and processed. Equally their LBA could have been authorised the day before but not printed until 1st.

As Di has said, threaten a solicitor at your own risk, at the moment they hold the power, if you reply to the LBA some of that power comes back to you.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Quick update,

I've been filling in my letter before action reply form and using an additional sheet to request more documentation from Lowell solicitors.

Given the reason I mentioned in my previous post as to why I dispute the debt and given the fact they don't have to provide a signed credit agreement under the CCA, would I be better ticking box C I dont know whether I owe this debt or box D I dispute the debt.

Any suggestions much appreciated,
                            Cheers ,
                            Grs

Comment

Hi everyone,

Given mobile phone contracts are not covered by the CCA, does anyone know what Lowell have to produce to prove I owe the debt? In an un disputable legal sense. I have searched the forum and online but cant find a concrete answer.

I'm going to have to send the letter before claim forms back tomorrow as I'm cutting it fine with the 30 day reply time limit.
                              Any help much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Grs

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X