• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell pre-legal assessment - scare tactic or should i be worried?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell pre-legal assessment - scare tactic or should i be worried?

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum, looking for some advice.

I've received a couple of "Pre-Legal Assessment" letters from Lowell, where they state they are deciding whether to transfer the account to a solicitor to take legal action to recover the debt, and go on to list what the legal action could mean, such as a claim form being issued in the court, court fees, solicitors cost and interest, and then a CCJ should I not respond to the claim form.

Can anyone give me an insight as to whether this is something that needs to be actioned ASAP, or is another scare tactic used to panic people into paying?

I'm really not in a position to be able to pay the debt at the moment, I've not long graduated and am in between employment without a wage coming in, and as soon as I do have a wage coming in I'll need to use this for basic living costs (could probably save a fraction to pay but nowhere near enough to pay in full). I also have other debts with other DCA's which I could save for another post 🙈 My family aren't aware of the situation, I would ask them if I thought they could help, but I think it would only worry them so I have refrained from doing so so far. I've read about paying F&F, if I could pay a relatively small % this way then I think I could ask family to help, but I'm scared to tell them the full extent.

Of course I'm disappointed in myself for this, and I want to get out of it and get everything settled but I'm just not sure what the right thing to do is, and I just don't know who I can ask - hence finding myself here.

Really appreciate some help, Cheers.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell pre-legal assessment - scare tactic or should i be worried?

Originally posted by KRIS17 View Post
    Hi guys

I'm new to the forum, looking for some advice.

I've received a couple of "Pre-Legal Assessment" letters from Lowell, where they state they are deciding whether to transfer the account to a solicitor to take legal action to recover the debt, and go on to list what the legal action could mean, such as a claim form being issued in the court, court fees, solicitors cost and interest, and then a CCJ should I not respond to the claim form.

Can anyone give me an insight as to whether this is something that needs to be actioned ASAP, or is another scare tactic used to panic people into paying?

I'm really not in a position to be able to pay the debt at the moment, I've not long graduated and am in between employment without a wage coming in, and as soon as I do have a wage coming in I'll need to use this for basic living costs (could probably save a fraction to pay but nowhere near enough to pay in full). I also have other debts with other DCA's which I could save for another post  My family aren't aware of the situation, I would ask them if I thought they could help, but I think it would only worry them so I have refrained from doing so so far. I've read about paying F&F, if I could pay a relatively small % this way then I think I could ask family to help, but I'm scared to tell them the full extent.

Of course I'm disappointed in myself for this, and I want to get out of it and get everything settled but I'm just not sure what the right thing to do is, and I just don't know who I can ask - hence finding myself here.

Really appreciate some help, Cheers.

Hi welcome,

What is the debt e.g. credit card/loan etc.

If the debt arises from a CCA 1974 regulated account to should send a request for a copy of the agreement asap, there is a £1 statutory fee to pay use a postal order marked for statutory fee only. Lowell has 12 +2 working days to comply. templates available)

Please post the details/history of the alleged debt then more advice will be available.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      Hi welcome,

What is the debt e.g. credit card/loan etc.

If the debt arises from a CCA 1974 regulated account to should send a request for a copy of the agreement asap, there is a £1 statutory fee to pay use a postal order marked for statutory fee only. Lowell has 12 +2 working days to comply. templates available)

Please post the details/history of the alleged debt then more advice will be available.

nem

Thanks for your reply Nem

The alleged debt is for a Halifax overdraft and amounts to around £1000, not for a credit card. If you need any further info let me know, appreciate your help

Kris

Comment

bump - could really do with some advice, thanks!

Comment

Hi

A new debt pre-action protocol started this week. (2/10/2017).

As the letter which you have received does not appear to be a formal letter before claim, Lowells will need to jump through many more hoops before issuing a court claim for this.
          This via [MENTION=48934]Debt Camel[/MENTION]
          https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

How long is it since you made a payment to this debt? I know that's a big vague with an overdraft, but roughly?

Your other debts, how many? defaulted at much the same time? total value?

Just trying to get a feel for the situation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X