• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer and Childcare Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer and Childcare Issue

I only posted last week about an employment issue surrounding my job and duties but I have another query regarding another problem that I am having and it is surrounding childcare and my employer.

So, in July, my employer told us we were having an away day in October - there were no further details - no agenda, no times -nothing.

Then, last week they released the details of the agenda and timings (two weeks before the day) and it turns out the away day is taking place in a city centre when we work about 10 miles out of the city centre. We work on a flexible working policy and so, our office is open 7am - 7pm and we have to do our hours between those times. In the main, we need to have a regular fixed pattern so people know where we are and when to expect us. However, on the day of the away day they have requested that we arrive at 8:45am and it finishes at 5:15pm. However, my three year old son is in after school club until 5:15pm and so, I am unable to pick him up. I am slightly concerned at the moment as my usual working pattern is 7am till 4pm - I leave at 4pm so I can get home in time to pick him up - this has always been the case.

I put a request in to my employer to leave the away day at 3:30 so I can get home as it will take me over an hour given the traffic and distance and they have said no. They told me that given that they released the news we were having an away day in July we have had sufficient time to make alternative arrangements - I disagree because how can you make arrangements when you do not know the location or the timings??!?

Is there any other option for me? I am seriously concerned about this because I cannot leave a 3 year old with nowhere to go. The last time I left the same venue, it took me an hour and 40 minutes to get home....

I would appreciate any advice!
    Tags: None

Re: Employer and Childcare Issue

I have another update regarding this and would be really keen to get peoples thoughts on it.

I had an answer of No originally as the CE said that we have had enough time to plan around the times given that the details were released in July. While I disagree with this as we did know the timings or the location, the original meeting invite that they sent out was only for 9am-4:30pm. Based on that time alone and without knowing the location, 45 minutes more than likely would have been enough time to pick up my son my from 90% of the locations in the area.

However, the updated meeting invite that was sent out last week actually differs from the original invite as it states that the day will last longer than originally thought - by 45 minutes and this is where my problem lies. Therefore, the arrangements that I had put in place are now no good because they have decided to move the goalposts somewhat last minute.

Is there anything I can do at all?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X