• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private parking fine/court claim form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private parking fine/court claim form

I have received a court claim form today. I was parked in a supermarket carpark and overstayed by 10 minutes in September 2015. I received a few threatening letters about payment and I ignored them (I realise I should never have done that. I do not know what to do. The payment is now 450 pounds including court and lawyer fees. I will complete the form. But need some advice on what I can put on the defence part. Also do I need to find a lawyer? Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Private parking fine/court claim form

Acknowledge the claim online using the web address and password on the form. DO THAT NOW. Do not put anything in the defence, you have 33 days from the date of issue to supply it to the court.

Who was the parking company? Have you contacted the store (I know it's late) to get them to get the ticket cancelled? There is a grace period for people to leave after parking, For BPA members this is 10 minutes.

That claim seems to be rather high. Do they know the identity of the driver at the time? A yes or no will suffice.

Do you have any of the original documentation?

Comment

Hi, The company is Civil Enforcement Limited. They do not know who the driver is. This happened September 2015. I don't have any letters from them as I threw them away. I also have photos from the carpark that show the pay and display was not visiable and they were hidden by overgrown trees. I have acknowledged the claim online today. It said I had to submit a defense in 14 days?. Also does this mean that more private companies are taking people to court because I thought taking people to court was costly and time consuming. Or am I one of the unlucky ones? Do I now need to find a lawyer.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the supermarket said they won't help as it is a private company and don't get involved.

Comment

Read the claim form very carefully. Unless matters have changed then you have to respond within 14 days. If you just acknowledge the claim within the 14 days you get another 14 days. So that's 33 days from the issue date, which includes 5 days for service.

It will cost you more for a lawyer than paying the charge.

Have a look at details of the company here.
        You were not unlucky in being picked, you brought it on yourself because you did not respond to their letters and they are now hoping that you have moved and will not be able to respond to the court form and they will win by default.

Post up the Particulars of claim that are on the form. You will be claiming as the keeper of the car. As they don't know the identity of the driver they are claiming from the keeper, you, as the keeper under the Protection of Freedoms Act. However the maximum they can claim from the keeper is the amount shown on the original Notice to Keeper + court fees (£25 ?) and solicitors £50. Unless this is for multiple transgressions they have added costs in the hope that no one will be available to query them.

You need to work on your defence. This will be
        Unclear signage
        Non compliance with POFA to hold the keeper liable.
        No contract permitting court claims with the store
        Time within the grace period mandated by the BPA.
        Time was not parking time but time between cameras, when the vehicle was moving not parking.

You will be objecting to the high amount of charges. How are they justifying them?

Look up ather defences on here and the PePipoo private parking forum

The supermarket are the company hiring CEL and are CEL are their subcontractors. When the supermarket says "Jump" CEL should respond with "How High?" Did you speak to a manager or just the customer help *(!) desk ? Which supermarket?
        Last edited by ostell; 8th October 2017, 12:30:PM.

Comment

I spoke to the owner of the supermarket. It is only a small family business supermarket called S and D. They said they have nothing to do with the parking and have got letters from them for overstaying aswell but ignore them. I do agree with you, 1 lesson I have learnt is never ignore the letters. Could you help with wording of the defense. I do not know where to start. Thanks. Have you heard of any cases going to court and the defendent having to pay so much money?

Comment

Yes, they do win in court but if you present a good defence then they quite often cancel the case.

Comment

Can I submit the defense online or post? I am hoping they will just give up.

Comment

Was the court claim via MCOL? (Northampton CCBC).
                If so you can file a defence online (though you are limited to the number of characters in the wording), via email, or by post (allow minimum 2 days delivery & get proof of posting...best SignedFor as it's trackable).
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes it is Northampton. I think I will post it recorded delivery instead. It is playing on my mind, that I may have to now pay a large amount of money.

Comment

You have been pointed at other CEL defences. Edit to match your situation, post on here for critique before submitting. You have been given some items to include.

Here's POFA, the legislation that allows them to claim from you, the keeper. Section 4 (5) limits the amount they can claim from the keeper:

The maximum sum which may be recovered from the keeper by virtue of the right conferred by this paragraph is the amount specified in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(c) or (d) or, as the case may be, 9(2)(d) (less any payments towards the unpaid parking charges which are received after the time so specified).

So your defence must include reference to that section of POFA. If the charge was £100, usually that or less, then you can add £50 for legal fees and £25 for court costs, somewhat different from what they are trying to charge you.

Comment

What is the issue date on the N1 court claim?
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Where would I find that information?. All I have completed is the Acknowledgement of service online on 8/10/17. The letter was sent to me on 4/10/17.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                          What is the issue date on the N1 court claim?
                          Originally posted by ami79 View Post
                          Where would I find that information?. All I have completed is the Acknowledgement of service online on 8/10/17. The letter was sent to me on 4/10/17.
                          Top right hand side of the court claim form.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

You have 33 days from the ISSUE date that is given on the form as long as you have acknowledged. Plenty of time to prepare a defence.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                              You have 33 days from the ISSUE date that is given on the form as long as you have acknowledged. Plenty of time to prepare a defence.
                              Hi ostell

I'm wondering if the Claimant has fallen foul of not complying with the new pre-action protocol?
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X