• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unauthorised Car Insurance Renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unauthorised Car Insurance Renewal

My neighbour had car insurance with a company which he was paying Direct Debit. Due to family trauma & his sons disability he acquired a motobility vehicle so put his old car up for sale & tried to cancel the insurance which only had a couple of months left. He was told there would be a cancellation fee so decided to let the insurance run its course while he was trying to sell it. He subsequently sold the car & thought no more about the insurance. He has now discovered the insurance company automatically renewed the insurance past the annual renewal date & continued to take direct debit payments which he initially had not realised. He contacted them to say he had not authorised renewal & no longer has the car but they maintain they had sent him an email giving him option to cancel so they automatically renewed & he must now pay £300 if he cancels. He did not get the email they claim they sent him and they admit they never sent him a letter despite him never being paper free with this company. They also have a record of his previous call saying he wanted to cancel & was planning to sell the car prior to the renewal date so they knew he had no intention or need to renew.
    Does he have grounds to not pay the cancellation fee they are demanding?
    Tags: None

Re: Unauthorised Car Insurance Renewal

One of the problems with automatic renewals!

His earlier attempt to cancel the insurance would not have been recorded as he did not proceed with it, and so automatic renewal would have gone ahead.

If he has exhausted the complaints procedure of the insurer he could approach FoS (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      One of the problems with automatic renewals!

His earlier attempt to cancel the insurance would not have been recorded as he did not proceed with it, and so automatic renewal would have gone ahead.

If he has exhausted the complaints procedure of the insurer he could approach FoS (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk)
      Thank you for that des8 I will pass that info on. Was it ok for them to just send email with no back up letter? He says he has never agreed to or signed up for paperfree.

Comment

Originally posted by marleymouse View Post
        ....He did not get the email they claim they sent him and they admit they never sent him a letter despite him never being paper free with this company.
        Predated letters can be produced easily, whereas correspondence sent electronically does not (I shouldn't think) provide that flexibility....

Your neighbour could ask the company to save the email as a file (.eml) and send it as an email attachment to inspect in order to verify their claim.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawlgo View Post
          Predated letters can be produced easily, whereas correspondence sent electronically does not (I shouldn't think) provide that flexibility....

Your neighbour could ask the company to save the email as a file (.eml) and send it as an email attachment to inspect in order to verify their claim.
          Thank you I will advise him to do that.
          From what I can glean it would seem the broker is ok & accepted he did not renew but the actual insurers are not & they are chasing him for cancellation fee .

Comment

I doubt legally it makes no difference as long as he was notified.
            He claims he was not, (no letter and no email received) and as he should not have been expected to check his emails (after all he had not signed up for paperless) the insurers should IMO have sent a letter.
            Try FoS (free if sometimes a lengthy process)

Who are the insurers involved...

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              I doubt legally it makes no difference as long as he was notified.
              He claims he was not, (no letter and no email received) and as he should not have been expected to check his emails (after all he had not signed up for paperless) the insurers should IMO have sent a letter.
              Try FoS (free if sometimes a lengthy process)

Who are the insurers involved...
              Not sure but will check with him later & let you know.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X