• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court Claim; SIP Gladstones Manchester car park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court Claim; SIP Gladstones Manchester car park

Hi, I have received a claim form from NHCC with the following particulars:

Particulars of Claim :-
    ____ of the vehicle XX16XXX (the ‘Vehicle’) incurred the parking charge(s) on 10/01/2017 for breaching the terms of parking on the land at Wxxxxx Street Manchester. The Defendant was driving the Vehicle and/or is the Keeper of the Vehicle.

AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    £160 for Parking Charges / Damages and indemnity costs if applicable, together with interest of £9.62 pursuant to s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8% pa, continuing to judgement at £0.04 per day.

The car park in question had a manned barrier entry, where a man sitting on a till would give you a ticket/receipt upon payment in cash. This ticket/receipt was partly hand written. The driver parked at the car park at 8pm and purchased 3 hours, however the driver was running late, the driver returned to the car park to purchase an extension before time ran out on the initial ticket. Upon returning to the car park the driver found the manned barrier entry closed with no one there able to assist. The driver looked around for a pay machine and found one, however it was not working at all. The driver then continued without paying and returned 30 minutes later to find a PCN on the windscreen.

The driver appealed online but received no reply and now have this claim form to deal with.

Any advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by sammy79; 1st October 2017, 20:53:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: County Court Claim; SIP Gladstones Manchester car park

Hi

First & foremost, have you acknowledged the court claim?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi

First & foremost, have you acknowledged the court claim?
      Hi, yes I sent the acknowledgement within the 14 days which allows me another 14 days to file a defence, of which I have 4 days left.

Thank you

Comment

Ok Sammy

In fact you have 33 days from the court claim issue date in which to file a defence. (An extra 5 days allowed for deemed delivery of the claim if via MCOL).

Do you have the original PCN, the postal Notice to Keeper* & up-to-date pics of site signage?
        Is it a hire/lease vehicle?

*This should have been received by the RK within 29-56 days of the parking incident (If it's not hire/lease).

Btw, could you edit your first post....'The driver parked...', etc.
        Do not ID who was driving, even on forum posts!.
        (Or have you already done so in your communications/appeal)?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Do you have the original PCN - Yes I do

the postal Notice to Keeper - Not the original no.

& up-to-date pics of site signage - No, it's in Manchester (I live more than 100 miles away)

Is it a hire/lease vehicle? - PCP.

Btw, could you edit your first post....'The driver parked...', etc. - edited, thanks. I copied what the particulars stated in the letter.

Thank you

Comment

From post #1

The driver had parked at the car park at 8pm and purchased 3 hours, however as they were running late, they returned to the car park to purchase an extension before time ran out on the initial ticket. Upon returning to the car park the driver found the manned barrier entry closed with no one there able to assist. The driver looked around for a pay machine and found one, however it was not working at all. The driver then continued without paying and returned 30 minutes later to find a PCN on the windscreen.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

From memory this site is either pay at kiosk or alternatively pay via ticket machine.
              No other payment methods available.
              Also, the site signage used to display BPA logos. (Well they did last May !)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok Sammy

In fact you have 33 days from the court claim issue date in which to file a defence. (An extra 5 days allowed for deemed delivery of the claim if via MCOL).

Do you have the original PCN, the postal Notice to Keeper* & up-to-date pics of site signage?
                Is it a hire/lease vehicle?

*This should have been received by the RK within 29-56 days of the parking incident (If it's not hire/lease).

Btw, could you edit your first post....'The driver parked...', etc.

Sorry about that, edited!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I believe that is correct. The manned kiosk was however closed at the time of return which was around 10:45pm. The ticket machine was out of service.

Not sure if it is BPA or not. Should I try to get some pictures of the signage at the car park?

Thank you

Comment

SIP are now with IPC, not BPA.

If you can get up-to-date signage pics it would help.

- - - Updated - - -

####
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

SIP are now with IPC, not BPA.

If you can get up-to-date signage pics it would help.

- - - Updated - - -

####
                    Sorry, seemed to have missed that. Haven't ID'd anyone, not in the appeal either.

I've tried to get pictures from the site, but have been unable to do so and it's a two hour drive to Manchester.

Is there any other solution to this?

What sort of defence could I make? The lighting in the carpark was poor, the signage was awful, the ticket machine was not working. How can something like this be allowed? Parking was paid for, time went over by 20 minutes. This is frustrating.

Thank you
                    Last edited by sammy79; 3rd October 2017, 11:58:AM.

Comment

These are all the communications I've received prior to the country court claim.

I have read on another post that they state just Walmer Street on the letters and ticket? Could this be used?
                      Attached Files

Comment

What is the 'date of sending this notice' on the 'Payment Overdue' letter? (The one with black header).
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The date on the black one is 04/04/2017

Thank you

Comment

Ok

Can I just ask...are you (or were you at the time) the registered keeper on the DVLA database? (It is usually so with PCPs, but just dotting i's, etc)

Oh, & the date of the red 'impending legal action' letter?
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok

Can I just ask...are you (or were you at the time) the registered keeper on the DVLA database? (It is usually so with PCPs, but just dotting i's, etc)

Oh, & the date of the red 'impending legal action' letter?

The driver is not/was not the registered keeper. date on red one 6/6/2017

Thankyou

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X