• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Break Clause Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break Clause Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Hello,

Hoping you can help!

There is the following clause in my Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement:

1.3.3."If the Tenant wishes to terminate the agreement earlier than expected a fee of £675 (six hundred and seventy five pounds) + VAT will be payable by the tenant."

This I have paid and given the two months’ notice required. After I paid the fee they emailed the following:

“Thank you for your email, confirming your notice.Please note that, the Tenant is liable for the Property until the end of the Term, subject to the correct notice being provided, however, should the Tenant wish to terminate the Lease prematurely the Landlord may, at their absolute discretion, may allow the Tenant to pay a remarketing fee equal to £675 plus VAT. This fee is required to advertise the Property and look to replace the Tenant with an appropriate replacement. Subject to the Landlord’s discretion, credit checks and referencing a suitable replacement may be used to release the Tenant. For the avoidance of doubt, the fee is required in advance and is non-refundable, the Tenant is liable / required to adhere to the clauses within this Lease until the replacement Tenant signs a lease and pays their initial Rent and Deposit. This Remarketing Fee will not be offered in every situation and can be withdrawn or altered at any time at the absolute discretion of the Landlord.”

My question is, can they do this?

I agreed based on the Break Clause in my Tenancy, not the bit they seem to have suddenly created and emailed to me. I would not have signed an agreement with the extra part in. I do not think I am liable for anything beyond my notice. I have read the Tenancy agreement in full and there is nothing in their about it being at Landlords discretion or on condition of another tenant being found, just the part quoted above which to me seems to imply it’s at my discretion as I am terminating the tenancy.

They said today we would be liable for council tax too until they find someone!

Thanks

Cato.
    Tags: None

Re: Break Clause Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Hi
    Welcome to LB

If you have a copy of the tenancy then I suggest you reply to the agent with the particular clause highlighted.
    [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] any thoughts?

A marketing fee of 675 +vat seems huge but there again I live in the midlands whereas you may live somewhere more expensive

Comment

How long was the tenancy for origionaly, how far in did you trigger the break clause.

Unless your near the end of the tenacy period, it doenst seem to unreasonable. how does the fee compare to a months rent ?
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

As the clause starts "If" then there must be something else in agreement relating to termination, if you can post up the full agreement then it'll allow us to all have a look and provide accurate advice.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X