• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court paper work received, how long to pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court paper work received, how long to pay

Were your offers to pay made 'without prejudice'?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I sent an email asking if they'd stop court action if I made an initial payment of £200, they did even acknowledge my offer they simply replied that I was to follow the instructions on the court paperwork.

i panicked and sent this email before I found your site.

have I put my foot in it by offering to make a payment? I didn't use the term 'without prejudice'

Comment

You're fine. As things stand you are just using the court process to delay matters in any case. You may settle in full or you might negotiate a lower settlement later on if they struggle with documents. Or you might defend part of or the whole case. You really don't know until you start getting documents back. Your priority is your credit file so as long as you would be able to settle in full IF you got a judgment against you after defending and a court hearing you are okay to continue.

If you have the email you sent you could post it here just to be sure you haven't inadvertently put your foot in anything.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you Amethyst, I panicked then.

in the email I offered to pay £200 then went on to say that I didn't want to admit to the debt because this would lead to a CCJ against me and the debt being paid off a lot slower.

I even asked what they'd have to gain from the CCJ because if they did go down that route the payments would be minimal and it would surely benefit them to come to an agreement with me without the court action.

as you say I am happy to pay it but the longer I have to pay the easier it'll be for me because just over £800 is a huge amount to scrape together in a short space of time.

thanks again for the help unfortunately I am someone who panics in the first instance hence why I emailed them when really I should have seemed advice first.

your comments are much appreciated

Comment

Don't worry, loads of people do it.... and 87% of people just ignore court claims altogether and end up with default judgments ... so you're ahead there Email sounds okay so really don't be stressing about it. From now on it's a process, like a game of chess if you will .... so stick to the plan and keep us updated with ANY replies from the claimant. Tactics etc will be adjusted as you go along.

Do you recall if you had a handset on credit at all with the contract ? ( for example my virgin mobile has one payment for my service ( talktime/data etc) and another payment for, basically, my loan to purchase my phone - the service bit isn't regulated by the consumer credit act, and the loan is )
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X