• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County court claim form received for debt that is being paid? Help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: County court claim form received for debt that is being paid? Help please!

Hi Di & all,
    I sent the acknowledgement of Service form to the court on Saturday by First Class Signed For post as directed so today I am doing the letters to the creditor & solicitors but then this morning I received a non requested Statement of Account letter from Cabot showing the original agreement date was 27th February 2002 & which shows I have been making regular payments & on the last page it clearly states the following - YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING, No action is required on your part but if you do have any questions or would like to discuss your current situation please call us, yours sincerely, Cabot Financial.

Surely this means I should not be being taken to court so I'm wondering should I call Cabot or would doing this jepardize my defence if I have one?

What are your thoughts on this guys?

Thank you,
    Kuggy

Comment

Hi Kuggy.

Never call (phone) them.....everything in writing (with proof of postage).

There is a live court claim in progress.
      That is paramount.
      Make sure that all court deadlines & instructions are adhered to.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Charitynjw,

thank you for your quick response, I thought I should not call Cabot but if I'm honest I'm not entirely sure what my defence is as I'm still paying the debt each month to this current day?
        It is ok everyone saying to defend this but when it comes to the crunch what is my defence actually going to be?
        I'm totally confused by all this!

Thank you,
        Kuggy

Comment

Lol!
          If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!

In a nutshell.
          Atm, defend claim in full.
          Send the letters (CCA request, CPR 31.14 letter, SAR) to the appropriate places.
          See what, if anything, comes back.
          If nothing, your defence will be largely their failure to disclose evidence + CCA s78 sanction.
          If you do get something sent, it can be checked for compliance.

Basically you are shaking the tree to see what, if anything, drops out.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where to find a s 77-79 CCA please?

Thank you,
            Kuggy

Comment

Top of this thread (along with other templates)------> http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...-a-Court-Claim
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Just for your info
                The statement that Cabot have sent you is something they should do by law and has nothing to do with the claim what so ever- although it might mean you can not use the lack of annual statements in your defence.

As Charity says , carry on with the court process and timeline.

As it is such a large amount I really think you need to get some legal advice as I have already said. As [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] has said, the fact it is cabot financial (uk) really is a good point for your defence but I do not know how to argue it- I believe that Di's firm have had some success with the unlicensed argument - not sure about other firms so I can not say

It is a sad but true fact that a creditor can take you to court even if you are making regular payments

Comment

Thanks for your input guys!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Particulars of claim

The Claimant's claim is for debts arising from Consumer Credit Act 1974 agreements. The claimant is an assignee of the following debts,, notice of assignment having been given to the defendant in writing.
                    Halifax Credit Card Account No ---- £11,570.51. Despite demands for payment, the above sums remain due.
                    The claimant therefore claims the sum of £11570.51, interest under a.69 County Courts Act 1984 and costs.

I'm just printing off a s 77-79 CCA to send to Cabot but am a little confused as to what I need to enter in the particulars of claim section as copied below

NB: ONLY LIST HERE DOCUMENTS THAT ARE MENTIONED IN THE PARTICULARS OF CLAIM ON THE FRONT OF THE CLAIM FORM - eg. IF THEY DON'T MENTION ' DEFAULT NOTICE' YOU CANNOT ASK FOR IT UNDER CPR 31.14, IF THEY MENTION CONTRACT rather than AGREEMENT - ask for the CONTRACT...IF IN DOUBT TYPE OUT THE PARTICULARS OF CLAIM AND ASK ON THE FORUM.( and remove this paragraph too!!!!)
                    for EXAMPLE
                    1. Agreement / Contract
                    2. Default Notice
                    3. Assignment
                    4. Formal Demand

Can anyone tell me which of the four I should be asking Cabot to provide please?

Thank you,
                    Kuggy

Comment

The Claimant's claim is for debts arising from Consumer Credit Act 1974 agreements. The claimant is an assignee of the following debts,, notice of assignment having been given to the defendant in writing.
                      Halifax Credit Card Account No ---- £11,570.51. Despite demands for payment, the above sums remain due.
                      The claimant therefore claims the sum of £11570.51, interest under a.69 County Courts Act 1984 and costs.

Just the agreement and notice of assignment there xxx
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The CCA (S77-79 ) request which is what you asked about is just the standard template
                        http://legalbeagles.info/library/gui...etter-example/

The Cpr 31.14 request
                        http://legalbeagles.info/library/gui...-of-documents/

For that youy would be asking for the agreement and notice of assignment but I would also ask for the Deed of assignment because they do sort of mention it
                        [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] any chance of moving this to the right forum

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                        The CCA (S77-79 ) request which is what you asked about is just the standard template
                        http://legalbeagles.info/library/gui...etter-example/

The Cpr 31.14 request
                        http://legalbeagles.info/library/gui...-of-documents/

For that youy would be asking for the agreement and notice of assignment but I would also ask for the Deed of assignment because they do sort of mention it
                        @Amethyst @Kati any chance of moving this to the right forum
                        Remember , S77-79 request to cabot and CPR request to solicitors

Comment

Can I just add
                          This is such a large claim and you could get a no win no fee
                          If that is the case your solicitor will do much better cpr31.14 and part 18 requests than I could ever manage.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X