• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax liability order. help needed plz.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: council tax liability order. help needed plz.

[MENTION=26498]ploddertom[/MENTION] thank u very much for all your help.

Comment

The Section 13A discretionary relief is a good thing, it's often forgotten about, and is one of the better additions to the LGFA92. I always push for my clients to go for it as it is appealable to the valuation tribunal in many cases.

I would certainly contact the council ASAP - the sooner you can start discussing it the better. I used to see a lot of cases where people would only contact us at the council after enforcement action had begun, after ignoring the debt, and then wonder why the council had proceeded with it.

In respect of the amounts a council will accept - the usual base line is no less than the equivalent of an attachment of benefit (£3.70 p/w) but after that each council varies widely.

(Assuming you're in England) What I would point out to them is that, if you hadn't lost the right to instalments, you could have chosen to spread the payments to March 18 - this would be 6 instalments. I would start by offering an arrangement to clear over 6 months if you can afford it.

LGFA92

Comment

[MENTION=92682]lgfa92[/MENTION] wow thank you very much. I am gonna right a letter to them tomorrow. paying them over 6 months is not a problem like I say I'm not refusing just can't afford it in one go. I just don't want it to get that far that baliffs are involved. I.e nosey neighbours, ex partner would love it to get one up on me.

Comment

sorry to be a pain again but is it best to write with an offer or Send an email?

Comment

Originally posted by flicky1314 View Post
            sorry to be a pain again but is it best to write with an offer or Send an email?
            Between the two I think email is probably best as most local authorities will provide an email receipt etc showing it has been received.

Craig

Comment

brilliant thanks Craig I will get onto it tomorrow. can i plz show u the email first see if I've done it ok or if i can add any more.

Comment

[MENTION=92682]lgfa92[/MENTION] I'm just writing up something now but just re-read what you've said. you've said I could have spread payment up until March 18. this debt is for last year's council tax. so I'm guessing that doesn't apply does it. ??

Comment

[MENTION=92682]lgfa92[/MENTION] this is what I've written so far. what do u think.

Dear madam
                  I write in connection to my arrears of council tax and wish to advise you of my plan for repaying the debt.
                  I understand that I have liability for council tax and I am in a position to offer you a repayment plan which is sustainable over the long term and will reduce the amount of arrears.
                  I would like to suggest a repayment of 40 pound per month which I will arrange by direct debit. I would be grateful if you would supply me with details of the account to pay this too.
                  I am currently self employed so not guaranteed set income every month. therefore I have calculated my income and expenditure appropriately to ensure that i will be able to meet this amount every month and not default on it.
                  I would respectfully request that this amount be paid directly by myself to the local authority rather then involving any third party agencies.
                  this would be of benefit to both of us as it will mean that the council will recoup the money owed quicker, while I will not incur any extra expense.
                  The involvement of a third party collection agency would increase my debts and take longer to pay , this would cause me further hardship.
                  I trust this arrangement will be acceptable to you and I await your reply.
                  I would ask that as a result of this offer you will forestall any diligence against me and allow me the opportunity to begin to repay this debt

yours sincerely flicky

Comment

Originally posted by flicky1314 View Post
                    @lgfa92 this is what I've written so far. what do u think.

Dear madam
                    I write in connection to my arrears of council tax and wish to advise you of my plan for repaying the debt.
                    I understand that I have liability for council tax and I am in a position to offer you a repayment plan which is sustainable over the long term and will reduce the amount of arrears.
                    I would like to suggest a repayment of 40 pound per month which I will arrange by direct debit. I would be grateful if you would supply me with details of the account to pay this too.
                    I am currently self employed so not guaranteed set income every month. therefore I have calculated my income and expenditure appropriately to ensure that i will be able to meet this amount every month and not default on it.
                    I would respectfully request that this amount be paid directly by myself to the local authority rather then involving any third party agencies.
                    this would be of benefit to both of us as it will mean that the council will recoup the money owed quicker, while I will not incur any extra expense.
                    The involvement of a third party collection agency would increase my debts and take longer to pay , this would cause me further hardship.
                    I trust this arrangement will be acceptable to you and I await your reply.
                    I would ask that as a result of this offer you will forestall any diligence against me and allow me the opportunity to begin to repay this debt

yours sincerely flicky
                    Reads fine to me - I'd also add in though that allowing the requested arrangement will allow you to maintain any ongoing council tax charge.

Craig

Comment

brilliant thank u I'll get it sent this evening

Comment

just keeping you updated. sent my email 4 days ago and as yet no response.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X