• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Confused of what route to take

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused of what route to take

Hi
    I was approached to take on a new job role at the start of the year. This role includes providing rotas, being responsible for 70 clients and 30 staff amongst other things.
    I accepted and I love my job but...
    from day 1 a colleague just didn't like me. I genuinely have no idea why except her friend was dismissed from the post I took.
    i made my manager aware and she said she had already noticed and spoken to her once. She spoke to her again.
    Things settled but then sabotage on the computer systems started. These could have become dangerous but the sabotage selected was always to look like I was incompetent.
    An audit was put on the system to trace as my manager agreed something was amiss. These things usually happened when I was returning from a day off/holiday.
    An audit message appeared so everyone knew it was in place so things died down but the atmosphere was awful. Little things still happened but they were addressed with"oh my mistake sorry" by my colleague.
    i handed in my notice 3 months ago as I had had enough of watching over my shoulder.
    I was asked several times to stay as was good at my job and my manager said to not let her win, etc so I took back my notice.
    Two days later I was placed on a probation for 2 months "to see if the dynamics of the workplace settled."
    I was shocked but I had nothing to hide. I was also advised by my manager to extend an olive branch to the colleague. She is trained in all departments and my manager said she would be hard to replace and the directors think a lot of her. I emailed her but she rebuffed and said she wasn't aware there was any issues.
    Things did settle and then last week I was taken in the office and told I was no longer on probation. I never received paperwork to tell me I was on it, let alone off it.
    Id been on arranged annual leave for 3 weeks on and off and then 3 days after having My probation removed, I was taken into the office and told
    "The directors have serious concerns relating to your ability in your role and you will be immediately stood down."
    Ive never had any warnings so I was shocked and upset.
    I was offered a new role on the same pay but upstairs out of the way where I would no longer work direct with my team. The lady who holds this post currently sits with us. I have a medical condition which won't help going up and down stairs and sometimes I can't drive. This role involves driving. They had already offered the role to the other woman and given me hers. I wasn't asked, I was told. The new role is on a 3 month probation.
    I asked to leave the meeting and go home as I was distraught.
    Twenty mins before this happened I was asked to manage a different office for the weekend as they were short staffed. I originally declined as was working the next 2 weekends and was strongly told "The directors are asking you personally" so I felt obliged to do it.
    I went home, done the other role and hurt my back. I went off sick and have very strong medication for pain relief. I'm now off sick. I have been text asking me for my answer on the new role, I ignored it. I sent a letter saying I was upset and confused as to why this was happening and can they please write the reasons and my manager refused saying we will discuss it face to face. She then added on
    "As you didn't answer my question regarding the new role I will take it that you're not accepting it."
    Im off sick and my mindset is fragile with all this plus my medication.
    I don't even know right now if I'm even employed and I don't want the new role, it's never been an area I wish to work in as well as health reasons.
    Im due back to work next week and I'm so confused and scared as I don't know what's happening or why.
    Its a small company so there's no PR or union and I can't join one as the unions I asked said the process has already started so I wouldn't be covered.
    I don't know if they can fire me as I won't accept it but I can't afford to be without work and I done nothing wrong that I am aware of.
    What would you suggest my next move is?
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Confused of what route to take

I would suggest that you ask for a meeting with your manager. Set out the things that you want to discuss which should include what are the issues they have with you doing the original job since only a few months ago they asked you to reconsider leaving. If they can give examples then you need to find out why they did not speak to you about it and give you a chance to improve. If you are to do the new role do they already know about your medical condition which may affect you being able to work on a different floor and what can they do about this?

I know it is very unsettling for you but do need to get as much clarity as possible and find out what the option are. Only once you have this information can you properly consider what course of action to take.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi Ula
      Yes they are aware of my medical problems as the role I was doing before was very hands on and I was struggling with it on a daily basis. They said they didn't want to loose me so that's why I got the promotion in the first place.
      My manager was amazing up until a few weeks ago when she got the job, before that she was acting manager and now it's like she's just dramatically changed.
      our directors get all their info from daily meetings with her so I guess that's where it's all coming from.
      My manager has no idea of privacy and confidentiality and I know everything from the recent affair of a colleague to a dismissal in another area because she "wanted her out." So in afraid I'm doomed.
      Unless I go down the grievance route I won't get to speak to the directors and I really don't have the strength for a big fight right now.
      Equally im worried that they have no intention of keeping me in the role and after the 3 months I will be let go. Part of my job is to do the oncall but being away from everyone, i worry I will struggle to keep up with the constant changes the oncall brings so I will loose that part of my pay which is a big chunk.
      But thank you very much and I will ask for that meeting.

Comment

I think the meeting will help to get a clearer perspective on what is going on. You can then make an informed decision as to what to do and an option may be to raise a grievance.

We will be here if you need further support or guidance.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you Ula.
          i think my problem is, I would fight tooth and nail for a worker or client but when it comes to confrontations regarding myself, I just don't have it in me and end up in tears.
          Also although it all only happened a couple of weeks ago, I'm aware of massive breaches of confidentiality and even the girl who doesn't like me, breaking the law in her role and my manager covering it.
          So whereas I thought originally felt 'safe' as she was impartial, I now know she's not.
          I didn't bring up these issues as I'm not confrontational and I knew I'd be out sided and I was worried being on probation.
          But I know I need to 'woman up' as I can't hide forever.
          Thank you again.

Comment

Hi Ula
            i had booked an appointment with a volunteer legal organisation before this thread. I went today and I was advised not to attend the meeting and instead take out a grievance. Because I have again asked my manager to advise me if I even currently have a role in the company (as she said she's taking it I'm not accepting) and again she said she's only willing to talk face to face, the person today said they may be about to fire me on the basis I haven't accepted the new role. I only contacted her regarding my sickness note originally.
            Would you suggest I take the chance at the meeting or send the grievance? It's based on no notice to stand down from my usual job and that I have a pre-existing med condition that they are aware of, so I wouldn't be able to continue with the new role effectively.
            I see points to both but now worrying I may make the wrong call.
            Thank you
            Last edited by MummyBear76; 19th September 2017, 16:08:PM. Reason: Didn't want to name the organisation

Comment

At the moment you are still employed by the company. Depending on how long you have been at the company may determine what they do if they are thinking about terminating your employment so how long have you been at the company?

Also when you handed in your notice did you have another job to go to? If so did the company know that you were leaving to go somewhere else?

Comment

I was totally honest with them from day one. The process at the new job I applied for was quick and i got an interview the day after I applied (after work) and they phoned me the next day to say I was down to the final two. I was honest as I made it clear I was only leaving as I felt the raw situation between me me my colleague was draining not just me, but others too. It was once I told my manager I was down to the last two that she gave me to the close of that work day to decide. So things remained amicable I approached my director and told her that I loved my job so much that if things ever changed I hoped they would let me come back. (Other staff members had informed me after I handed in my notice that the other girl had been attending interviews too) The director said let me speak to her as it would be a shame to loose you, let alone you both. I've been employed with them just short of 3 years.

Comment

I'm aware she was spoken to but she denied attending interviews although the director didn't tell me, a higher up staff member did. It's not just them placing me in a different room out the way, it's the whole job is so different and I got this promotion as my health wasn't doing well and the old role was too much in the first place. Today it was agreed by the other person I saw that this new role would affect my capabilities and health and therefore it's discriminating. They've always been aware of my health issues. Also I was given no notice of a sizemic change.
                  Im just so fragile at the moment (shock and stressed) and I don't want to cause big rows but equally it's all been so unfair and upsetting. I'm terrified of either approach to be honest but the whole process has been cruel and I need to work.
                  Since ive been in this role, not once in the 9 months have I had to visit the doctors for my medical issue as it's settled so well. I guess I'm worried that a new employment, there's not much about at the moment in my field, will cause me to get ill again.
                  This comes from someone who at times before has been bed bound, had several procedures done and was under a pain clinic. Stress upsets the condition so the doctors now put me on Diazepam to keep me calm

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about the distress this is causing you.

You do though need to decide what course of action you are going to take. If it is the grievance route then you need to be preparing the letter for your return to work next week. We can provide some guidance put together should you decide to do this.

Comment

Hi
                      I decided to go with the grievance and submitted it yesterday. When I walked in the building to deliver it only one colleague spoke to me, the other 2 completely blanked me, even after I greeted them, so that was a bit awkward.
                      But I feel a bit better today knowing that I am standing up for myself. Now it's a sit and wait for a response. My doctor confirmed today that my condition would be classed as disability as it has been ongoing for 8 years and it can't magically correct itself (I have DDD which is inoperable) and the fact that they were adjusting the role to be upstairs where the existing role is downstairs, I can't see how they can justify that knowing I have this. There's no lifts in the building either.
                      I did ask for my role back in the grievance but as they've already given the position away I can't see that's going to happen.
                      Im obviously dreading the reply and the inevitable meeting and I guess the next thing they will do is fire me but on what grounds I have no idea. Will keep you updated ��

Comment

I am glad you have come to a decision and well done I am sure it was not easy. Glad you feel better today.

We will be here if you need any more guidance.

Comment

Hi
                          i received a reply from my grievance letter stating that as per the company process I am to have a meeting already requested by my manager on my return to work. That was the full content.
                          Back to square one and anxious as hell now.

Comment

The meeting that was already arranged had a different agenda to dealing with a grievance so I am concerned they have not understood that. Plus did you raise any issue about the conduct of your manager in your grievance? If so then this person should not be hearing your grievance.

Also were you given the right to be accompanied?

Comment

The grievance stated that I was writing to request their assistance in a matter that had happened between me and named the manager. I said we had been unable to resolve.
                              i then wrote I was raising a grievance regarding no warning to being called in and also the discrimination and that I'd like to return my job.
                              The reply just said "As per our company policy you will meet with your manager on your return to work."
                              But I know that the manager is on holiday for 2 weeks when I'm due to return.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X