• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Just moved into rented property, furniture listed on inventory missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just moved into rented property, furniture listed on inventory missing?

I moved into a 2 bed furnished flat yesterday. There had been a desk in my bedroom when I visited the flat, and I double checked with the estate agent at the time that it came with the property. He said it did, and it was also listed on the inventory. However, the desk is gone. I'm a student and absolutely need a desk; and we chose this property on the basis we wouldn't have to buy any furniture. Is there anything I can do, or does the landlord have the right to not provide furniture listed on the inventory? I emailed about it and this was the response:

Hi Both,
    Hope you are well,
    I have spoken with your Landlord who has informed me the previous tenant had desks at the property this is why they had been on the inventory. The tenants had then taken the desk with them when they left The Landlord is happy for you to supply your own if you wish.

I can't afford to supply my own. Is there anything I can do?
    Tags: None

Re: Just moved into rented property, furniture listed on inventory missing?

If it's in the Inventory then I would think the Landlord has a duty to provide you with a desk. If not that particular desk (because they don't own it apparently) then they should provide you with one similar and acceptable to you.

When was the Inventory carried out? It should be done at the start of the tenancy so if the previous Tenants removed items they shouldn't be on there unless the agent is simply recycling an old Inventory.

Were you present when the Inventory was made perhaps at the Check-In? Does it state you have seven days to accept/query the contents?

Were you charged for the Inventory as part of the set-up costs?

Check to see if the agent is a member of any third party redress scheme (they must be by law). Tell them you want a desk because that was 'part and parcel' of accepting the furnished property which you viewed through them (assuming you did).

Tell them if a desk is not provided within seven days then you will make a formal complaint which you will refer to the relevant Ombudsman if they don't deal with this asap.

Start as you mean to go on

Here's some information about how to complain in case you need it. Hopefully the threat will do the trick > https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes

Di

Comment

The home inventory I'm referring to was shown to me before my contract started, after viewing the property but before signing the contract. I believe it was carried out when the previous tenants occupied the property. As far as I'm aware they haven't yet conducted another one, or if they have, we weren't made aware; we signed the initial contract on the assumption that all the items listed in the inventory we were shown would be included (and got assurance from the estate agent that it would be).
      As such, I wasn't present when the inventory was made, and haven't been asked to sign/accept anything, and wasn't charged for the inventory. Can I still proceed with these complaints, or are those promises not binding?

Comment

If they do not supply the desk make sure you get a revised inventory immediately. These agents and LL can be very, very slippery when it comes to your leaving -even the very big and therefore assumed prestigious ones- and I would not put it past them to try and charge you for the ‘missing’ desk!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X