• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bereavement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bereavement

Hi All,

Sadly I recently lost my father. He left behind some debt, which was all rolled into a payment plan. The payment plan was handled by a solicitors firm who went bust, and it seems that the debts were handled by the various creditors. Most were paid, however two remained; Restons solicitors (arrow Global?) and DLC. I believe both related to credit cards and were approximately £3K and £2K respectively. Fairly modest, and the vast majority of the debt (it was significant at one point) has been paid.
    I have provided copies of the death certificate to both.
    Restons responded kindly with condolences stating that they have closed the file and returned it to their clients. I don't know what that means. Is it closed proper? Are their client likely to seek payment?
    I haven't heard from the others as yet.

I have heard/read conflicting information on debts and death, my understanding is that they stand and if there is an estate, they will need paying after the funeral costs are paid. Is this correct? How do debt collectors go about this?
    Tags: None

Re: Bereavement

I am so sorry for your troubles.

If a DCA say they are sending the file back to their client, there's nothing to pay. It's closed properly. Their client is very unlikely to seek payment from a deceased account.

Unfortunately in my experience it's a mixed bag, some will say ok, sorry for your troubles don't worry, some will ask for payment. Nothing can be settled until after the funeral and if there's nothing left it's tough on the creditor.

I am hoping that the other company are as understanding and wish you every good wish at this very sad time.

thinking of you

Callie <3
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Thanks for the advice, and for the kind words.
      I have had another conversation with the creditors and they have all closed the accounts so nothing to pay.
      They must have recouped what they paid for the debts and a bit of profit and decided that it wasn't worth the hassle for the remainder.
      This means that my (homeless) sister can move into my dads modest little house and maybe get her kids back living with her! I am happy beyond words.

Comment

So happy that something positive can come from something sad

Delighted for your sister and her kids <3

Callie <3
        PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X