• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sparks Energy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparks Energy

Hello
    My elderly parents are having some serious problems with Sparks Energy. They moved house in May, and Sparks provided duel fuel to the previous owners, my parents changed supplier on the date of the move to E.on. Sparks have subsequently set up an account in my fathers name without his permission and even sent someone to try and read their meter about a week ago, my mother refused them entry. They are now being hassled by a debt collector for payment of the previous owners bill. My father is not well at the moment and they refuse to talk to my mother because they set up a bogus account in my fathers name and because of data protection they can only talk to my father.

Has as anyone experienced this?

thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Sparks Energy

Hi,

you need to send in a letter proving the supply was taken over by Eon (ask Eon for help too) on x date, the same date you moved in.
    Send a letter to the debt collector stating that your parents were not in the property during the billing dates (simple tenancy agreement/exchange date proof and ask them to contact the supplier to withdraw this debt.) I will find out the CEO's address, ask for proof of acceptance via either signed agreement or the transcript of the call and give them a 10 day timescale to update the information,.

normally works!

Callie <3
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Thank you. Will give it a go

Comment

If they start any hassle a nice friendly reminder that under the DPA companies are required to keep accurate and up to date information, with an unlimited fine for anyone who fails to comply and up to 12 years in prision can help to force their arm!
        Remind them that it is also a breach of Data Protection to supply information to a 3rd party without the owner's consent, especially if said information is incorrect (as per the letter) and you will be speaking to the ICO (information commissioner's office) with regards to this possible breach.

If ya want I will compose a letter for you and give it a bit of welly, lemme know what you need hun

Callie <3

- - - Updated - - -

give 'im hell!!!
        PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Originally posted by slainte caragh View Post
          If they start any hassle a nice friendly reminder that under the DPA companies are required to keep accurate and up to date information, with an unlimited fine for anyone who fails to comply and up to 12 years in prision can help to force their arm!
          Remind them that it is also a breach of Data Protection to supply information to a 3rd party without the owner's consent, especially if said information is incorrect (as per the letter) and you will be speaking to the ICO (information commissioner's office) with regards to this possible breach.

If ya want I will compose a letter for you and give it a bit of welly, lemme know what you need hun

Callie <3

- - - Updated - - -

give 'im hell!!!
          Thanks really appreciate your comments, help with a draft letter would be fab. Looking forward to giving them hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks really appreciate your comments, really helpful, help with a draft letter would be fab. Looking forward to giving them hell

Comment

Ok allow me, please tailor to your needs.

Dear.............

On the I moved in to which was supplied by your company. My meter reading on moving in was for my gas and for my electricity/ I did not take a meter reading so my account would have been opened on an estimate. On moving in I contacted Eon to arrange for them to take over my supply, they confirmed this was possible and took over from on and meter reading of for gas and for electricity/ again I did not take readings so this was done on an estimate.

I can confirm my date of occupancy via tenancy agreement/council tax statement for the period/completion date email from Estate Agent and my request transfer from your company to Eon via a copy of my initial bill. At no time did I agree to any contract term with Sparks Energy as this was not my intention. I can understand that between and I would be responsible for the costs of energy and would gladly pay the correct period.

After my transfer from your company I was concerned to receive a bill in my name for the previous occupant's usage. I contacted your call center to advise them of the mistake but this was passed to a debt collection agency.

May I remind you that I cannot be held responsible for another person's debt.

I have called repeatedly and been passed from your company to the debt collector *insert name* so feel that contacting you is my only hope to have this issue rectified. Unfortunately I don't have a forwarding address for the previous occupier, but as a goodwill gesture to yourself I will make you aware of this if I am made party to this information.

I am very concerned as under the Data Protection Act it is a legal requirement for a company to hold accurate and up to date information about an individual and this is not the case in this circumstance. May I remind you that the penalty for a breach of Data Protection is an unlimited fine and/or a prison sentence of up to 12 years for any individual plus an unlimited fine and possible removal or Licence for a company that breaches it.

I would expect given the nature of my complaint, and my ability prove I am not responsible for this debt, that my erroneous account will be removed with immediate effect and that any contact with your appointed debt collector will stop, also with immediate effect. I would also expect a full and timely apology for what has been a most trying and upsetting time me.

I shall expect a full reply, with clear indication that my nightmare is at an end, within a 7 working day receipt of this email/letter.

Yours etc

Mr Dad

Comment

You are a star. Thank you. I will let you know how I get on.

many thanks

Comment

Give 'im hell hun!!

Good luck and if in doubt... RELEASE THE BEAGLES!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X