• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Not being paid for OT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not being paid for OT

Another OT query that I think I know the answer to

A company employs staff on a contract, within that contract is the need to do compulsory OT of 5 hours a week ( they get paid for it at standard rate). Other OT is always paid and normally without query.

The company has one manager who is 'on point' for monitoring overtime and on occasion has unilaterally decided someone has worked too many hours OT and does not authorise the payment for these hours

My thoughts are that this would amount to unlawful deduction of wages or similar and a grievance should be raised , ultimately leading to a potential claim against the company however I am realistic enough to know that in a non unionised business and in the present dire financial climate this may not be a wise move,

Does anyone have other thoughts or opinions
    Tags: None

Re: Not being paid for OT

What does the contract say about any other overtime above the compulsory OT of 5 hours a week i.e. payment of it, does it have to be authorised in advance, is there a limit to the number of hours that can be claimed above the 5 hours?

How long has it been "custom and practice" to pay all other overtime regardless of hours claimed?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for the reply
      I don't personally have sight of the contract but to the best of my knowledge this has only happened two or three times in the last nine years - believe me when I say i would have heard about it if it was even a semi regular occurrence.

The job is a sales based role and some OT is absolutely unavoidable unless you want to tell a customer who is spending a large amount of money to go away as its home time.

I think one problem is that the business has multiple sites, each with a management structure but the manager who is on point is in a different branch so really has no idea what the people are doing on an hour to hour basis.

Hell they even ask why you have been so long in the toilet but let others go outside at will for a smoke

Comment

If the "custom and practice" has been to automatically pay the overtime and it is rare for it to be not paid, I would suggest that when this happens an informal approach is taken first by querying it with HR on the basis of "was this an oversight"? If that does not proof successful then a formal grievance would need to be raised.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X